Throttle throw problem 1989 mercury 100 hp

J.avant

Seaman
HI.....I'm having a problem with my control box not having enough throw to get my motor to full throttle. The control box is the one with the warm up lever on the top. I've adjusted it just about every way there is at the motor. Is there something I need to do at the control box? Just not enough throw to get full throttle out of it. Goes into and out of gear easy enough though.

HELP!!!! Please.

John

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Throttle throw problem 1989 mercury 100 hp

I am wondering if maybe you have the control cables reversed at the motor? The throttle cable has more "throw" than the shift cable.

J.avant

Seaman
Re: Throttle throw problem 1989 mercury 100 hp

I am wondering if maybe you have the control cables reversed at the motor? The throttle cable has more "throw" than the shift cable.

I checked the cables as you suggested and they were good.

I disassembled the control box and was moving the shift/throttle handle and there was a lot of slop in the mechanism. I discovered a silver bushing laying inside the horseshoe shaped track. I removed the arm that's on the top of the track and saw where the bushing came from. I installed it back on the arm and that fixed the problem.

It's been this way from when I got the boat, 3 years ago. The bushing laying the track prevented the lever to go to full throttle. I never noticed this till one day I was doing a tune up and the butterfly's wouldn't open all the way. WOW!! I should get a few more MPH out of this thing.

Thanks for helping me with this problem.

John