throttle problems

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 90HP 4 stroke merc and here's my problem:<br /><br />Yesterday I was taking the boat out and cruising through the mangrove when all of a sudden the speed fell off and I was in idle. I could shift from forward to neutral to reverse but there was no power. So I limped back home.<br /><br />When I took the cover off and looked at the cables at the motor end it appears that the shifter cable is moving freely, but the throttle cable is not.<br /><br />Any ideas what I should look for?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: throttle problems

Best Guess, broken throttle cable. remove the cable end from the motor and see if it slides back and forth inside the sheathing. If so, time for a new one.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

You're Right!!!!<br /><br />Pulled the cable out and it was broken at about the spot where it would bend when the o/b was raised.<br /><br />Now I just have to find someone to replace it.<br /><br />thanks again.

werdna

Seaman

VERY easy to replace yourself. there should be a marking on the outside of the cable for the length. take this, along with the manufacturer of your outboard to the shop and get yourself a new cable. All that is involved it removing the control box and the rubber grommet that the cable feeds through into your motor. once you've done that, there is two split pins to remove, replace cable and reinstall.<br />Andrew.<br /><br />PS> in 16 and have been able to do it myself a couple of times :D :D :D :D

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks werdna, I may just give it a try myself. I'm living way out in the countryside and it's often difficult to get someone to come out and do boat repairs! <br /><br />I do have a couple more questions if you don't mind:<br /><br />1) Do I need to remove the plastic casing that the broken throttle cable is housed in? In other words, will the new throttle cable come with the plastic casing?<br /><br />2) How much 'play' should the cable have? My boat is old and there are a couple of right angles that the cables must pass through from the centre console to the o/b. Should I install a slightly longer cable so there is enough room for the cable to 'S' it's way through rather than bend itself at the right angles?<br /><br />thanks again