Throttle plate won't return all the way back?

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all experts out there,

I have 1990 Evinrude 50hp, 2cylander, 2 stroke. I replaced ignition pack under flywheel after tightened 6 screws for top plate and bottom plate together, then I check the control handle by advancing it all the way and return it to the neutral position my throttle plate won't come all the way back to idle position. What did I do wrong? look for binding and everything' but if I give it a little pull it will be all way back, can't figure it out.

does it need some lubricant? or there is certain way to seat it? really need some ideas. Thank you. I have picture below.

Attachments

• 20131005_161712.jpg
    20131005_161712.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20131005_170537.jpg
    20131005_170537.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20131005_170512.jpg
    20131005_170512.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Throttle plate won't return all the way back?

the picture #2 and arrow 1 should be at the arrow #2. If it is normal. Thank you.

daselbee

Commander

Yeah pic 3 is the way it should be. One thing often overlooked on these motors, regarding link and sync, is the throttle cable adjustment. I think that may be off, because the throttle cable places the final position (idle) of the linkage system. You absolutely need to do a thorough link and sync at this point, paying special attention to the short link that attaches to the timer base. That is set by length of rod between the two plastic keepers, and that length varies by model number and year. This is one of the more complicated link and syncs to do, in my opinion. Disconnect the throttle cable (plastic pin thru pivot yoke) and double check your throttle cable for slop and play. It should not have any.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

the throttle cable was adjusted all the way, the way it was I don't touch it. the time I replaced parts under flywheel I left short linkage connected to it everything was working before putting new parts on. Any other suggestions? thank you.

should I try to adjust it a little bit longer?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The roller in the quadrant has broken off its outer layer. You need a new one.

If the 6 screws were not tightened down evenly, it could bind the timer base. The plastic bearing ring has to be in the correct position first. Use outboard oil on the plastic bearing and moly-lube - same as on driveshaft splines - on the brass bushing over the crankcase boss.

daselbee

Commander

the throttle cable was adjusted all the way, the way it was I don't touch it.
I don't understand this statement.....

should I try to adjust it a little bit longer?
I wouldn't adjust those link rods until you get the specific link and sync instructions for that engine. Not from a Clymer manual, from the original service manual from OMC. However it does look close, and again, I would look at throttle cable slop and adjustment of that. That is relatively safe. You will see the issue.....ANY adjustment you make to the short TB link affects both idle timing and WOT timing. Not a really good design.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all. will try all of the above. Thank you very much.