Throttle "feel" and potential cable adjustment question

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This may be normal. If so just tell to shut up and play through. But it doesn't feel as I'd expected too. So going to be safe and ask.

80 model Mercruiser 165 equipped boat. The front controls don't have any trim buttons on them. Just a basic forward and back with a center button if engaging the throttle only.

Is it normal that the lever has to push a long way to move the throttle? If the lever is pushed about 90 degrees I get plenty of throttle. But the first half of that 90 degree swing doesn't move the throttle at all. About the same forward or reverse.

It works this way. So it may be just fine. All that travel with little to no inital response just isn't what I expected though. The adjuster back by the carb may be the cure all. But I didn't want to screw with anything if this was a normal behavior. If this suggests the cable gut has stretched a bit over the years I'll see about adjusting the cable housing though.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Throttle "feel" and potential cable adjustment question

This may be normal. If so just tell to shut up and play through. But it doesn't feel as I'd expected too. So going to be safe and ask.

80 model Mercruiser 165 equipped boat. The front controls don't have any trim buttons on them. Just a basic forward and back with a center button if engaging the throttle only.

Is it normal that the lever has to push a long way to move the throttle? If the lever is pushed about 90 degrees I get plenty of throttle. But the first half of that 90 degree swing doesn't move the throttle at all. About the same forward or reverse.

It works this way. So it may be just fine. All that travel with little to no inital response just isn't what I expected though. The adjuster back by the carb may be the cure all. But I didn't want to screw with anything if this was a normal behavior. If this suggests the cable gut has stretched a bit over the years I'll see about adjusting the cable housing though.

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', the free play is where the Shift occurrs, 'n then the throttle picks up...

In other words,.... It sounds Normal...

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Throttle "feel" and potential cable adjustment question

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', the free play is where the Shift occurrs, 'n then the throttle picks up...

In other words,.... It sounds Normal...

Got it. Thanks. Was thinking only of a continuous throttle operation without considering the rest of the system. Appreciate the help. Glad I left it alone.