Throttle effort

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How much effort should it take to increase the throttle? I'm guessing the friction screw should be set so the throttle will not back off on its own. Should adjusting the throttle underway be a one finger operation or require deliberate force?

Right now, to adjust from idle to off-idle, I have to bump the throttle with my hand, there isn't much smoothness to it. I still need to remove the motor end of the cable to test for stickyness in the cable, but was curious what it SHOULD feel like.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Throttle effort

Should take some effort to push the throttle, but smooth. If it were too easy then you would tend to over correct in rough water conditions.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can some one give me an idiots guide to disconnect the throttle cable from the engine.

This is on a 2004 Johnson V4 115hp

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't have the model # in front of me at the moment. Figured nearly all 2004 V4 would be the same where this is concerned. I will add the model number when I get home.

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to keep mine pretty loose (16ft bass boat w/115 evinrude). I can easily push it with 1 finger. There's still some friction, but it's very smooth.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't have the model # in front of me at the moment. Figured nearly all 2004 V4 would be the same where this is concerned. I will add the model number when I get home.

Not all of us have each exploded diagrams memorized in our heads and it's best to have the model number off the motor, you would be surprised to find out how many people describe a problem with their motor and diagnosing it becomes an issue because they said it was a certain year only to find out it was a different year after verifying model numer, it's also easier for some to look up parts, diagrams by model #.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not all of us have each exploded diagrams memorized in our heads and it's best to have the model number off the motor, you would be surprised to find out how many people describe a problem with their motor and diagnosing it becomes an issue because they said it was a certain year only to find out it was a different year after verifying model numer, it's also easier for some to look up parts, diagrams by model #.

Good info. I'll post the number tonight.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Model is J115PLSRC

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

I removed the throttle cable from the throttle linkage. The throttle from the control back has some resistance, but it is steady throughout the range. The throttle linkage in the motor is absolutely the source of the issue.

Moving the linkage manually required quite an effort. Almost as if there were a detent in the throttle cam. I watched as my dad moved the throttle through the range, and noticed that #12 is not rolling, it is sliding on #10. I lubricated it with a little silicone spray, and that helped, but did not solve the initial force, only lessened it.

I also took a bit of stiff wire and made a small extension for the timing spring, to reduce the tension of the spring. This, with the lubrication, made throttling out of idle MUCH better. I was able to move from idle to 1000rpm with ease. Now, I just need to install my F/W separator and do a link-synch in hopes of solving my low idle.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ordered #5 & #12. Hopefully replacing those will ease my idle/off idle transition.