throttle control

athenb

Cadet
im haveing trouble with my throttle control from some reason forward works fine but when i put it in reverse it sounds like it grinding gears or somewhere alone those lines now this only happens when reverse is at losw but it works i got it out the water at checked it and it works just souns like its grind but when i put the throttke higher in reverse the grinding sound gose away where do i start so i can post what type of throttle i have or find a modle number or something thank you

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: throttle control

What model motor do you have? With model number we can tell what we are working with.

athenb

Cadet

i have a 1985 E150TXCOS 1985

johnson GT 150 outbourd

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

has the lower unit recently been off?

the shift rod needs to go back to the same spot it was when it was removed..

or at least it needs to be adjusted properly when re installed.... so that when your linkage from the controls throws the shift lever up in the cowling..the linkage down in the lower unit is thrown the correct distance to seat the clutch dog effectively..if it almost makes it....it just bangs on the edges of the geaR OVER AND OVER...

or it might be that your control lever isnt adjusted properly...does forward go in to gear prematurely???

the lever movement to go into forward and inot reverse should be about the same distance( but in opposite directions)...

thats all I got..

hopefully others with more confidence in thier trouble shooting skills can chime in for ya

good luck

bob

athenb

Cadet

how easy is somethin like that to fix and come to think of it it dose take alot to get it in gear but it dose not rind like reverse dose as u could tell im neww at all this but i am learning and i do no what your talking about just want to know if it something that i can fix or is it somehting i have to take in will this get worse in the long run

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am not judgeing you......but if you doubt yourself....you are behind the 8 ball already.

I know it is more of a pain to have to take it to someone than it is a cost consideration..

but sometimes when it COULD be and easy fix or it could be an IMPORTANT adjustment, that if not done or done incorrectly could lead to very exspensive repairs in the near future...then it is wise to just take it to someone

they might only need an hour to tell you waht is wrong

so you spend $100 and you can make your choice then.

do not keep running it like you have been until it is diagnosed!!!

a rebuilt LU could run $1500!!!

bob