Throttle cam roller missing

thresher15

Cadet
I was reading the thread about the throttle cam sleeve but didn't want to hijack the thread. The sleeve on mine ('96 J150EXED) has been cracked for some time and I never thought much about it. Recently the same day I noticed it was gone I noticed the motor was MUCH more responsive to throttle than it had been before. I had to rethink advancing the throttle because the motor was so responsive and would sit you down compared to how it had been previously. What does anyone think this means? No other changes had been made otherwise to fuel or motor. Should I replace the sleeve? Thanks.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Throttle cam roller missing

That cam also drives your timing advance/retard. Probably means timing has been slightly off all along. Replace the roller and check.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be careful here, it may run better, but is it going to cause damage because your are advanced to far? Ping Bang Screech. Check the timing with MFG recommendations.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The missing roller sleeve will affect the way the engine runs. It will advance the spark more before the throttle kicks in. You will run with more spark at the same throttle setting. A potentially lean condition. Not good. Also, the carb butterflys may not be fully open at full throttle. While the throttle may appear more responsive, you may have lost a few hundred rpm at top. Replace the sleeve.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

about $9.00 at dealer. common for the to break.

thresher15

Cadet

Thanks guys. Ordered the part but it won't be here until the 23rd or the 26th.:( Stripers are on right now. Not gonna run it till I get the part though...
I even asked them to loan me one from an engine in the yard (they have quite a few used motors for sale or just hanging around) and I would buy an extra one for them but they said no. Oh well, it's supposed to blow this weekend anyway.

jlemberg

Seaman
Re: Throttle cam roller broken off

Re: Throttle cam roller broken off

I am chasing down an idle stall issue. The first thing I noticed was the Throttle cam roller that Doug and I put on there has cracked off. I know it effects throttle up, but would this effect idle at all, running without a roller? I know that at idle it should be just touching the cam lobe mark at idle, and not opening the throttle valves?

jlemberg

Seaman

Oops tried to start a new thread..please delete.