Throttle Cable Question

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I first got my boat I assumed the motor was a 71 Evinrude as that is the year the boat is. I then figured out that it had to be a later model because it is not electric shift and I believe prior to 73 they were electric shift. So I then figured, well-maybe a 73-75. Now I'm not sure of that either because the throttle cable I had to order is listed as being for OMCs, 79 and later. By the way the serial plate is missing on the motor and there is nothing on the freeze plug either, so I have no idea of how to determine the model year. The question I have right now is, can someone who has replaced the throttle cable on their boat tell me for sure how to take the old one off? I assume from looking at it that it has to be drilled out, but then the question is what do you secure the new one with? A rivet? Here are some pictures of the motor, control box, the cable end, and where the cable secures to the throttle. I originally posted this question in my restoration thread, but didn't get any responses. Maybe should have posted here in the first place. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, and if anyone has any idea of the approximate model year of the motor I would appreciate that also.

photo1-1.jpg

photo11.jpg
controljpg.jpg
throttle4.jpg
throttle2.jpg

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Throttle Cable Question

THere are two screws 180 degrees apart (SMALL screws) that come together and clamp down on the wire inside the cable. You loosen those screws to take the cable end off. Don't do any drilling!!! OR cutting!!
In your bottom right pic, the screws should be in the little silver pin looking thing about an inch from the very end of the cable adapter.
Those cowls fit about a jillion of those 50hp motors for a bunch of years. It's extremely odd that you don't have a plate OR welch plug number on your motor---hints at misbehavior on someone's part in the past..... I think '72 or '73 was the last year of hydroelectric shift, and about ''68 was the first for all electric shift. So your motor is most likely a '73 or newer. The cable you show appears to be the pre-79 as far as I know.
Good luck,
JBJ

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Throttle Cable Question

THere are two screws 180 degrees apart (SMALL screws) that come together and clamp down on the wire inside the cable. You loosen those screws to take the cable end off. Don't do any drilling!!! OR cutting!!
In your bottom right pic, the screws should be in the little silver pin looking thing about an inch from the very end of the cable adapter.
Those cowls fit about a jillion of those 50hp motors for a bunch of years. It's extremely odd that you don't have a plate OR welch plug number on your motor---hints at misbehavior on someone's part in the past..... I think '72 or '73 was the last year of hydroelectric shift, and about ''68 was the first for all electric shift. So your motor is most likely a '73 or newer. The cable you show appears to be the pre-79 as far as I know.
Good luck,
JBJ

Yeah I think there was definitely misbehavior at sometime in the past. I have registration for the boat and trailer, but only a bill of sle for the motor. Luckily I believe Texas doesnt register motors. I appreciate the Advice, but I think we're talking opposite ends of the throttle cable. I was asking about the end shown in the bottom right side picture.