Throttle Cable adjustment

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got done Link and Sync And everything is looking good.(Thanks Mikey for the help). Now, whhat will hpefully be my last problem. When adjusting the throttle cable I can't get enough travel to get it near the WOT stop. I turned the trunion all the way out.(in my opinion not a good Idea). I did link and sync with throttle cable disconnected. Is there an adjustment in the control box to get more of a throw from the cable?<br /><br />Thanks,

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Throttle Cable adjustment

Oh Yeah,<br /><br />Dont knowif this makes a difference but the control box, I think is from a 79 model. I have a 77. Just need a nother inch or so.(story of my life)

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Did it ever work right to your knowledge? When you push the throttle/gear shift handle as far as it will go forward does is end up roughly horizontal? If not there may be something broken or misassembled in the control box. Someone may also have shortened the internal wire in the throttle cable or installed it incorrectly which would prevent full motion of the throttle. If the throttle cable is the problem you will need to replace it. If so, look closely for part number on cable near the motor end. If can't find it, then measure the cable and round up to the next foot. If the cable end have small allen set screws where it attaches to the the throttle arm in the control box or at the motor then the Teleflex number for it would be CC170xx, where the xx is the length of the cable in feet. This is most probably what you have. If no allen screws, then the part number is CC205xx. BTW, the price of these cables vary widely from 13 to 58 dollars for the same cable. So shop carefully. They are sold here on Iboats for around 20 dollars.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no knowledge of this mtor before May this year. It really does seem to me that it is in the control box. Cable moves pretty freely certainly not stretched.haha. I dont think it shrunk. Control box arm does not go horizontal. Should it? Stops before it hits the forward top corner of the box...Could this be my problem? Maybe one of the groove cams is in the wrong groove.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Handle should be able to go horizontal. Something is stopping it. Suggest you first disconnect the throttle cable at the control box or even easier just let the trunuin on the cable that keeps it stationary in the control box to float free and see if this allows the arm to go all the way forward. If it does, then your problem is with the throttle cable and probably with the inner wire having been shortened. Doubt if it's one of the groove cams if all else is working fine, but not positive. BTW, if you see a lot of the inner wire sticking out in front of where it connects to the throttle arm in the control box then the cable either has slipped or was installed incorrectly.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the groove cams is worn and I believe the roller is sticking at that point.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

That would do it. iShopMarine.com is probably your best hope to get the parts. There site can be hard to navigate. Just click on the button for parts lists, tell them what motor you have and select "Remote Control". An exploded parts diagram and parts list will appear. If the control doesn't match yours, then go back and tell them a newer year motor. The cam isn't available for my control from them, but at least they give me the part number to search for or get from a dealer.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Just a note of caution. When you get this problem fixed and if you have not already done so, you will want to set the throttle arm limit (WOT) screw on the motor to stop the arm just before the throttle plate shaft limit on the carburator is reached. This will prevent strain and excessive wear of the shaft.