Threw in the towel...

Tallahassee

Cadet
I was doing like 5-10 mph through a canal this morning when the motor stops. I turned it off and cranked it again. A few feet later it cut off of again. This time when I tried to restart- nothing. Not even a sound. After a thorough inspection I found a towel stuck in my prop. Got it out, but it still wont crank. Everything battery powered works. Plenty of gas. The engine is a volvo penta 4.3L GL, year 2000. Not sure what to do, and sorry I dont have the model number on me right now.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Threw in the towel...

Let's first find out what it's not doing

Got it out, but it still wont crank.

Everything battery powered works.

Crank = starter spins the engine. It's battery powered.
Start = the engine runs without the starter

Is your engine not cranking or not starting?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does the starter spin the engine over?

Tallahassee

Cadet

Ha yeah I put it in neutral. BUT what I was thinkin was that since it cut off while it was in gear maybe the engine was stuck in gear somehow. But Im just thinkin out loud here.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You will just have to start ruling things out systematically...the towel in the prop might not even be related.

Technologic80

Seaman

Just curious but has the engine been checked for hydrolock?

When the engine stalls or cuts out and you are underway - even idling in the canal - water can go backwards and fill up a cylinder or two. The starter cannot spin the engine. Have you taken all of the spark plugs out and then tried to crank the engine? Does the crank move with a cheater bar/socket attached to it?