Threaded quick chain link vs. bow (anchor) shackle

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anybody got any thought on the relative advantages/disadvantages in using a threaded quick link (see picture) or a bow shackle (see picture) to connect an anchor chain to the anchor. Most every anchor rigging I see pictures of uses a bow shackle but in my research I find that a similar 1/4" rod diameter quick link is break strength rated at 1980# while the similar shackle is working load rated at 300#. I realize these are different ratings but how are the two correlated? Just how much 'load' will a 5,000# boat develop on anchor? Wikipedia has this to say: "with a larger 'O' shape to the loop, this shackle can take loads from many directions without developing as much side load. However, the larger shape to the loop does reduce its overall strength." How important is 'side load' in the equation? In my application it may be very important because the distance of the pin between the shackle ends in inevitable going to be twice the width of the chain link diameter of 1/4" or the width of the connection point to the anchor which is also about 1/4" and the pin on the shackle is going to be susceptible to sliding from one side of the shackle to the other.

Attachments

• threaded quick link.jpg
    threaded quick link.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 0
  • bow shackle.jpg
    bow shackle.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 0

limitout

Banned
Re: Threaded quick chain link vs. bow (anchor) shackle

unless you put it under a lot of stress I don't think it will really matter that much until you try to remove it, at that point I can see the quick link becomming seized on the threads over time and needing to be cut off.

if you ever get in a position of putting a lot of stress on it I can see the threads letting go and the link opening on the quick link where the shackle is going to be a lot stronger.

so for small lightweight runabouts and john boats use what you want (even a snap on clip will work fine) but for heavier sized boats go with the shackle

Last edited:

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Probably doesn't matter, if you can get the quick link on. They don't have as wide an opening as the bow shackle for same rod diameter.

I have had the quick links get stuck "on" in sandy applications, but this was after several months holding a buoy.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I have used both without a problem. Boats to 4000# on both Lake Erie and mostly on the Atlantic.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The thread links are a pain in the rear end. Get any type of contamination in the thread or distort (bend) the "link" and good luck ever getting it open.

To answer your question:
1. Load is relative to the surface area. The picture you posted would suggest the the width is roughly half the length. Pulling on the "long side" would generate twice the deflection (bending) as the same weight pulling on the "short side". The change in breaking strength would be determined by how the deflection affected the threaded connection. I'm guessing 30-40% off the top of my head

2. Your comparing "breaking strength" to "load factor". Breaking strength is pretty self explanatory. "Load rated" is typically 1/5 the minimum breaking strength but can be as much as 1/10th the minimum breaking strength rating.

Bottom line, your quick link will break "around" #1800. The shackle has a "minimum" break strength between of #1500 to #3000. The actual "breaking strength" may be higher

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

and your rope will break before either metal part LOL

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

and your rope will break before either metal part LOL
i wouldn't count on it. A 3 strand, 5/16" nylon rope has a minimum breaking strength of #2295. That just goes to show how weak a #1800 break strenght is relative to the rest of the components.

Throw the effects of dynamic loading into the fray and see how small a #1800 load really is

alldodge

Staff member

I use screw pin shackles (your threaded quick link) due to strength and easier to remove when needed. I don't like quick links (your bow shackle) for use on a boat

Bondo

Staff member

I use screw pin shackles (your threaded quick link) due to strength and easier to remove when needed. I don't like quick links (your bow shackle) for use on a boat

Ayuh,.... Ditto,.... I use the galvanized shackles for my ground tackle, in the water 24/7/365, they always work, reasonably easily,...

I've got a quick-link holdin' the safety chain on the outboard of the tugboat, 'n it Always needs a wrench, 'n more lube, whenever ya wanta use it,...

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Come on guys, the anchor is a safety device. Do you really want to ride out a storm with a threaded quick link??????:scared::scared::scared:

If you have a second anchor for holding you in place for fishing, and can afford to lose it, then the threaded quick link is fine.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

A properly sized quick link will be strong enough to do the job, especially for small boats used recreationally. Remember: Working load is NOT failure load.

The problem is that sometimes a quick link will not fit into the anchor eye or through the chain link. In this respect, a shackle is better.

If I were going offshore and expecting to encounter a bad blow, then I would stick with tried and true old fashioned ground tackle.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

regardless of the science, I wouldn't trust the quick link with my anchor rig. For one thing I can tie down my shackle once it's screwed in; can't do that with the quick link

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use a very large threaded stainless steel quick link with my anchor. Since I need to take the anchor off the chain to stow it, I need something that works easier than a shackle. If the anchor was left in place all the time, I would use a shackle.

UncleWillie

Captain

...And your rope will break before either metal part LOL

i wouldn't count on it. A 3 strand, 5/16" nylon rope has a minimum breaking strength of #2295. That just goes to show how weak a #1800 break strength is relative to the rest of the components. Throw the effects of dynamic loading into the fray and see how small a #1800 load really is

The #1800 (Sometimes #1550) is the SWL (Safe Working Load).
Cheap Plated Links will typically Hold #5000 or more.
Quality Stainless Steel Links hold closer to #15,000

NEW 5/16" Nylon Line has a working Strength of Less Than #200.
Your old frayed rope IS the weak Link! :D

...even a snap on clip will work fine...

A snap on clip May hold the Load, But will CAM OUT just when you need it the most! :grumpy:
CarabinerCam Out.jpg

Another Consideration is that the Shackle will be physically smaller in the same cable size.

Last edited: