Thoughts and Can It Be Done?

mike_runella

Cadet
Good afternoon,

I recently acquired a 1996 Scarab 22, 454 7.4L, EFI, very clean. One problem is the boat has a muffler/canister setup (see below pics) that my wife's BMW is louder than this thing when it gets warmed up. Way to quiet for my liking! :)

With that being said, what is everyones thoughts, on spending about 450.00 deleting this muffler/canisters, and running HIGH-TEMP Trident Marine 4" exhaust hose to a nice set of marine exhaust tips out the back with flappers in a new location (see attached) directly from my current Mercruiser Manifold/Risers?

Am I going to be messing with any computer issues or will the boat simply just be louder?

Thanks and look forward to everyone's thoughts and answers.
Mike

NOTE: The yellow lines are where I would run the 4" hose out.

Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 3.05.16 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 3.05.26 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 3.11.32 PM.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thoughts and Can It Be Done?

It will work but you and your wife wont like the noise and on certain bodies of water its a ticketable offense.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Loud is great and fun for about the first 5 minutes, then it's just tedious. After an hour you'll have a headache and be cursing the stupid bas... who spent your $450 on a set-up that's going to get tossed the very next time the boat's home.....

But, you'll have learned the old fashion way...

There are 3 basic male types...
1. Some men learn by reading.
2. Some men learn by watching others.
3. And some men just have to urinate on the electric fence for themselves.....

:D :D :D :D

Chris...........

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

I would much rather hear nice music from a quality radio and a beautiful female talking to me than a loud v8. I think you will regret it also. Save your labor for when something breaks and be thankful that beast is in top shape at the moment. Also sleepers are cool. Ever hear a nice ride drive by you that you just knew had a blower shoehorned under the hood. Very cool. But then again i am an old school 50yo wrencher.

spend 450 on a stereo and just play a recording of a v8 at high rpm then after 30 mins you will be glad that you can turn it off

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Corsa makes a switchable exhaust called Captain's Call. Its a little pricey, but gives you the option of loud or quiet.

Corsa Exhaust 2.jpg Corsa exhaust.jpg

The system costs about $1900.00. The only thing not in the picture is the wiring harness. They forgot it and shipped it later that week.

Ken

Maclin

Admiral

The setup on there now looks pretty sweet and well engineered (and expensive) to me. I would call it a "keeper" and enjoy it for what it is now -- Quiet and Fast.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Achris is right, at the dock and you think man this thing is Bad A… But 5 minutes later you are looking for the shut off switch!
Very nice system your wanting to hack up + you will have 4 exhaust tips sticking out the back.

You will regret it…[BI am trying to quiet mine back down[/B].