Thought for the day

SoulWinner

Commander
"What might explain the differences in behavior today versus yesteryear? A significant part of the explanation is seen by recognizing that society's first line of defense is not the law but customs, traditions and moral values. Customs, traditions and moral values are those important thou-shalt-nots such as: thou shalt not murder, shalt not steal, shalt not lie and cheat. They also include respect for parents, teachers and others in authority plus those courtesies one might read in Emily Post's rules of etiquette. The importance of customs, traditions and moral values as a means of regulating behavior is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. ... Customs, traditions, moral values and rules of etiquette, not laws and government regulations, are what make for a civilized society. These behavioral norms, mostly transmitted by example, word of mouth, and religious teachings, represent a body of wisdom distilled through ages of experience, trial and error, and looking at what works and what doesn't. Customs, traditions and moral values have been discarded without an appreciation for the role they played in creating a civilized society, and now, we're paying the price. What's worse is that instead of a return to what worked, many of us fail to make the connection and insist 'there ought to be a law.' As such, it points to another failure of the so-called 'great generation' -- the failure to transmit to their children what their parents transmitted to them." --Walter Williams

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Thought for the day

Sounds good...the thing I thought about while reading that, SW, was this: every sin, every evil deed, everything that a human can think up to do as "wrong", is covered in the 10 Commanments...not one itty bitty sin or evil is left out!!! So, if everybody lived by those commanments, the courts and jails would be empty...the schools would be a fun place for our kids...work would be enjoyable...driving the highways would be safe...walking the streets at night or anytime would be a pleasure...most people look at the Bible and commandments and see a LOT of Dont's and NO NO's...I look at it and read it and find out that I have all freedom, all peace, all joy...and I don't even have to concern myself with the don'ts or no's...everything is yes for me...God has promised me a lifetime of joy and peace and happiness, fi I do the simple things, like live teh ay He teaches us in His writings...it is a GOOD LIFE LIVING FOR THE LORD!!!!!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Nice post by the both of you...........Living for the Lord is good. And thats coming from someone who has been on both sides of the fence.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too have been on both sides of that fence. I have spent a lot my time living in this world and participating in what this world views as 'acceptable.' For 4 yrs I have been living for the Lord and let me tell you.....Give me the Lord any and every day!! Without that there is just no reason, there is no real happiness, no real fun.....IMHO

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Walter Williams is a genius. We need more like him. Plain, clearcut, no PC. He is amongst the reviled, for the sake of it.