This page is scareing me

ljbarry

Cadet
I just bought an 86 starcraft 1601 with 2.5 OMC with I thinks is a stringer. I have taken it out twice now and every thing seems to work good. Befor I read this form I ran the engine out of water befor I put it in. Could I have wrecked the impeler? It hasn't over heated, could I have been lucky? what elles should I look for?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: This page is scareing me

You could have cooked the impeller and melted the shift cable. Even if you got lucky, you didn't do the components any good.

The shift cable goes right down thru the exhaust passage and assumes that it is surrounded by water. It is a very expensive item if it is degraded.

jontoronto27

Seaman

With a stringer you need to look for a few things

5 seconds out of the water with the engine running can ruin an impeller, but if it's not overheating then we can assume you are one lucky dude. You need to get ear muffs for the lower unit and a special hose fitting for the upper right side of where the trunions are to make sure water is circulating in your engine while on land. You also need to realize your outdrive is now 20 years old, you need to inspect the ball gears and replace if they are 1/3 missing or more. That kit will run you about 200 bucks and you can get it from http://www.sterndrive.info

You need to check the transom seal ALL THE TIME. check it for cracks and wear and if it looks bad, spend the 100 bucks and buy another one. Just trust me on that, waterlogged boats are very difficult to get off the bottom yourself. If you boat on a waterway that has muskrats, you may want to get a plastic transom protector. They will chew holes in it, and potentially be a pain in the butt (they also love chewing on the rubber bumpers).

Be careful about the water level in the bilge. Your power tilt and trim and starter motors are all more then likely really low on the engine. Power tilt is about 150, trim about 225 and a starter is about 100.

Last but not least, always scan for cheap spare parts. They are always expensive when you need them, and will more then likely not depreciate as time goes by.

Have fun! lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to get ear muffs for the lower unit and a special hose fitting for the upper right side of where the trunions are to make sure water is circulating in your engine while on land.

You actually need one or the other...not both. Go for the fitting at the trunions..way more convenient.

ljbarry

Cadet

I have already looked at the ball gears they are about half. A friend told me about that. What about gear oil I realy want to look at that for water. What does it cost to change the seals? What about the shift cables how can I tell? What about slop in the gimble?

ljbarry

Cadet

Well bad news for me looks like there is water in the middle part of the out drive. How hard/much is that to fix?

KaGee

Admiral

It costs around $100 for seal kits if I remember. It's been a while for me.

I spent around $350 for new ball gears, waterpump kit and seal kits for the intermediate, upper and lower drive.