This is a good one!!! 4.3L OMC

Ok, so earlier this summer I picked up a 1986 17' Checkmate Sportfire with a 4.3L OMC Cobra and Cobra outdrive. I actually traded a beautiful 1985 Honda ATC250R 3 wheeler for it. But thats another story.

So when I am talking to this guy, considering the trade, he is telling me that the motor was "freshly" rebuilt, but he was having trouble starting it, and it was "poping/backfiring" out of the carb. He said the ignition timing may not be correct. Well it only takes me about 2 seconds to glance at the fuel line that is NOT connected to anything, and a fuel tank that is bone dry.

Anyways, I am a marine hobbiest of sort. So I took the project on, made the trade and got her home. Well that night I got her fired up. The timing was right. Now here is what was wrong just on that day. Half of the lifters were NOT primed, carburetor not bolted down, intake loose and a massive engine knock!!

So luckily I actually had another OMC 4.3L at the house that I just freshly rebuilt. So tonight in the pouring down rain (anyone in SE Michigans knows what I am talking about) me and a couple buddies pulled the engine. Here is what we found!!!!

For starters:

Cylinder walls scored
1 Piston installed wrong direction
All Connecting rods had WRONG connecting cap
The #2 and #3 mains were in the wrong spot
Cam timing off a tooth
Stuck lifters
A piston that WOULD NOT pivot on the wrist pin (barely moved)

To say the least I was very disappointed in the person that built this engine. My buddies 3 year old son could of done a better job. I mean the rods and caps are stamped with the numbers on them???? How much easier does it get?

Anyways, I just had to share this expierence. Enjoy the photos. If you would like to see anything else from the motor or any parts, just ask.

I will post some more pictures as I get parts in... Might add a little performance to the engine, we will see.

60411796ct9.jpg

83933037eu7.jpg

17808641go7.jpg

25117277yq0.jpg

33297552ug0.jpg

D

DJ

Re: This is a good one!!! 4.3L OMC

I would guess the rebuilder was consuming mass quantities of "barley pops".

Yikes!

Robj

Lieutenant

I hope the same rebuilder did not touch the outdrive!!

Have a great day,

Rob.

MikDee

Banned

Yikes! :eek: Talk about a horror show! I hate to see a good rebuild so screwed by stupidity :rolleyes:

Uraijit

Banned

Did he switch his tube of assembly lube with a tube of valve lapping compound? Eeee-gahds! :eek:

mthieme

Captain

:eek:
Better go back and ask him if he worked on anything else so there are no more surprises!

Lol, yea no doubt. Maybe not though, I thought I felt myself getting dumber by the second just talking to him.

lol

mthieme

Captain

Make sure you don't get the 3 wheeler back either.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Why would you guys be so surprised?
I'll go one further, the guy who assembled this engine probably touts himself as a mechanic or mechanially inclined or good with tools or "I've been doing like this for years"...

mthieme

Captain

That was one of my first thoughts when I started reading this.
It's almost a no brainer.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

and people wonder why I lock the door, don't answer the phone, and turn the radio off when i'm doing work like that.

45Auto

Commander

Unfortunately it's been my experience that a "rebuilt" major component by a home mechanic (engine, outdrive, transmission, AC, etc) on any type of vehicle is a big WARNING sign to let you know that you'll probably be re-doing it soon, unless the seller has receipts with matching serial numbers from established engine builders or mechanics. I bet there's more obviously kludged repairs on the boat also. If I make an offer on something that's been "rebuilt" I adjust my price to figure on replacing or rebuilding that component pretty soon.

Many times the "rebuilt" terminology is a cover to explain the obviously new gaskets and clean surfaces, and is really shorthand for "I opened it up and incorrectly half-a**ed fixed what I absolutely had to so it would run and I could sell it".

Many home mechanics won't even spend the money for a shop manual on their stuff, much less spend the money on the correct tools to do the job, or have the time or know how to do the job correctly.

Good luck with your new motor Smurf, sounds like you're lots better qualified to build it than the last guy! :) :)

I am a fulltime mechanic.... lol, also a certified marine mechanic.

I know just what you mean "freshly rebuilt ready to go" yeah ok..... needs a motor.

They didnt even clean the gasket surfaces, to top my list above off. I forgot to mention this:

THEY USED ONLY RTV TO SEAL THE INTAKE TO THE HEADS!!!!! NO gaskets

mthieme

Captain

Funny.
I tinker with vintage farm tractors.
Rebuilt in that arena means it runs and it's been recently painted.