This big fish didnt get away!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/big_fish <br /><br />ALTON, Ill. - It sounds like the sort of tale Mark Twain might have cooked up: A man fishing in the Mississippi River hauls in a blue catfish roughly the size of a sixth-grader. But this is no fish story. Early Sunday, Tim Pruitt caught a 124-pound blue catfish. <br /><br /> <br />To get a sense of just how big that is, the state record holder was a mere 85 pounds and the world record holder tipped the scales at 121 pounds, 8 ounces.<br /><br />Now, Pruitt, whose fish has already been weighed in the presence of a conservation police officer and measured by a biologist for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, is expected to submit documentation to the International Game Fish Association so that it can be certified a world record holder.<br /><br />Once that is done, the catch should be approved as the world's largest blue catfish, replacing the current champion that was caught Jan. 16, 2004, in Lake Texoma, Texas, said Becky Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the association.<br /><br />Pruitt's fish, measuring 58 inches long and 44 inches around, was swimming below the Melvin Price Lock and Dam on the Mississippi River at Alton on Saturday night when it grabbed Pruitt's line. The two struggled for more than half an hour, and at one point the fish dragged the boat carrying Pruitt, his wife and a friend before Pruitt could reel it in.<br /><br />The fish has been kept alive and will be on display in a tank at the Cabela's Outfitter store in Kansas City, Kan., according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.<br /><br />Pruitt, 33, of Godfrey, told the (Peoria) Journal Star's outdoors columnist that he considered releasing the fish in the river but decided to donate it to Cabela's "because I thought it might be neat to give people a chance to see a fish that massive."

KaGee

Admiral
Re: This big fish didnt get away!

OMG!<br /><br />Last fall I was talking with a couple of people from West Virginia. There had recently been an accident and a vehicle went into the Ohio. They claimed divers came up from the spot and were unwilling to go back down due to several HUGE catfish in the area. They feared for their lives. I don't think these folks were pulling my leg, but who knows.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The parents of that catfish live by 3 Mile Island. :D <br /><br />KG, in 67 when the Silver Bridge in Gallipolis Ohio collapsed, divers then also said the same thing. I was 11 years old and remember the divers talking about how big the catfish were. They also didn't want to go back into the water. I don't blame them one bit!

ndemge

Commander

Right across the river from us.

TilliamWe

Banned

Yeah, and the divers who put the bridge in East Liverpool said the same thing. Well, they are all urban legends. How come we have never seen one dead, or noone ever caught them? But not Tim Pruitt's fish! It was on the front page of the Peoria Journal Star yesterday. He purposely fishes for these big blue catfish. He also fought it for 40 minutes on purpose, because he says if you don't tire them out, they death roll when you reach into their mouth to grab their lower jaw! Then they get away.<br />Oh, by the way, this guy's other hobby, weightlifting! And yes, the picture of him holding the the fish in his arms, like he's curling it, is real!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And if you stick your hand in a mouth of a bluecat, it will try to take it off.<br /><br />Not like a flathead or shovelhead as we call them, they have no jaw strength.<br /><br />As far as urban legends, might be some of them, but if you get to the L&D at Greenup, Ky. look up Jim Taylor, lockmaster and talk him into taking you up on top of the dam and look down just past the churners. What you see are not urban legends. 'nuff said.

TilliamWe

Banned

Been there Spinner, never saw any monster fish.<br />Let me clarify, the urban legend in East Liverpool was of catfish 13 feet long. Not true. Now, if I was diving & ran into Tim Pruitt's fish, yeah, I might be a little freaked out (ok a lot freaked out!). So I guess if the stories are of "huge" fish, then they are true. But when people start attaching "bigger than a man" to it, it gets sketchy!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Freshwater fishing topic, where LF posted a pic of the fish.