Thinking plants?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Thinking plants?

How come plants seem to almost think or evolve? <br />Plants grow fruit so animals will eat them and poop out there seeds elsewhere, spreading there genetics around. Some trees release there seeds in those helicopter things that fly all over the place and then there is that plant out at the California botanical gardens that gives off the odor of a rotting corpse so flies and bugs will come and fall into it so the plant can eat them. Then there is the Venus Flytrap….. and Pine trees out west that the pinecones seeds will not come out unless there is a fire to clear away the land. What makes plants do these things? How come they all do different things like grow different fruits or smell like a dead corpses. Hell I was just watching a TV show on how some plants will choke and kill off the neighboring plants so it can get the best sunlight. Are they evolving? Thinking slowly? If it is that a bunch of plants were scattered around at the beginning and whatever one had something that worked survived then why do they seem to be getting smarter? I bet if you took a oak tree from today back to the time before animals there would be nothing but oak trees throughout the world today because of things it does today that plants didn’t do back then. Plants were here before any animal. What would plants benefit from fruits, why didn’t fruiting plants die off because there wasn’t anything to eat them back then and what made them start to fruit when animals did arrive. Even today why would one tree drop it seeds by those helicopter things and the one next to it grows acorns for squirrels to take off and burry? Is there a brain in there?<br /> I know it seems like a bunch of dumb questions. I’m sure that plants evolved from some spec of moss on a rock some where back at the beginning of time but plants over time have adapted and evolved. With no brain how are they doing it. I am sure you will say it is written in there DNA but why and how would a plant think now I have to start growing some fruit so animals will spread my seeds around after never doing it before?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Thinking plants?

I FWD this to Mom Nature.<br /><br />She said, "Because I said so." :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thinking plants? Well, actually no I wasn't, but now that you mention it, now I am. :D <br />Now what was I thinking? That is the question.<br />Bassy

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As amazing as it all appears, and it really is amazing, it all happens by accident. Evolution, in short, is caused by mutations that cause one plant/animal to be better or less equipped to survive in its surroundings. If the mutation causes the plant/animal to better survive, it does so. This mutated plant/animal then passes on its characteristics to its offspring, and they are then off to the races.<br /><br />The only purpose of a seed and fruit is to continue its type. At one time, possibly the fruit acted as a fertilizer to the seed. The scenarios are endless.<br /><br />John

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

lazy birds dont evan hunt moskitos anymore they just go to mcdonalds and eat all the bugs of the front of the parked cars.....

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Read Genesis chapter 1 verse 11-12.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

James, I was simply answering his "evolution" question as science sees it. However, we all have the right to deny it and believe what we want to believe. :D <br /><br />John

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by yingling-j:<br /> James, I was simply answering his "evolution" question as science sees it. However, we all have the right to deny it and believe what we want to believe. :D <br /><br />John
I, being a Creationist, was replying to him directly. I'm just a simple man of faith, who only understands science to a certain degree. I have no doubt that mutations happened (and happen today) for species to survive, but I believe that God gave all of His creation that ability to mutate (or evolve). Where I draw the line is that we human beings evolved from some lower life form such as a puddle of goo or an orangatun.<br /><br />Believing that takes faith. You are exactly correct about people having the right to believe what they want. They also have the right to share it (as long as what they share doesn't break any iboats forum laws).

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not many believe in both James, as you and I do. As I said, I simply have given the science answer to evolution. I too believe that life began somewhere, with the hand of God that is. Unlike you though, I am usure of where or how.<br /><br />I think we agree more than first recognized,<br /><br />John

QC

Supreme Mariner

Evolution was Created . . . next issue.<br /><br />It is that simple in my mind. May run counter to James' take as I do believe Man evolved too. For me Evolution is a perfect example of God's work, nowhere near the opposite. Science attempts to explain what has happened, it will never be able to explain how it started. There are some really bright guys who have traced our beginnings to light. Sounds somewhat familiar to me . . . ;)

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I think God, our Creator, gave us just enough information to believe it by faith. He said, "Hey, I created this, this, and this, oh, and by the way, you humans, too." He didn't say exactly how because either we couldn't comprehend it or it He doesn't have to prove Himself to us.<br /><br />I don't understand it all, but have a peace by just trusting what He wrote for us (through inspired writers) as being true. I'm a KISS kind of guy anyhow (Keep It Simple Silly). I used to like the music group by that name as well. :)