thinking about it......

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my neighbor has an old landau pontoon boat he was thinking of scraping. i went to look at it today. looks like a 18/20 footer but since i forgot my tape im guessing. it has 1 large bench across the back, a helm chair and at 1 time looks like it had a passenger seat close to the pilots chair, then theres 2 fishing seats up by the front, does not have a plate that i could find stating model or anything. there is no trolling motor but it does have an old merc 50hp with tilt and trim that the guy says he ran a couple times a couple years ago. the steering seems to be frozen and the deck is going to have to be replaced. all the railings are still there and the tubes have no dents or gouges i can see. the trailer will have to be redone i think. it has the fold down top which is filthy but seems to be in good shape. the helm seems to be made of aluminum so i wont have to replace it,just paint or cover. im wanting a pontoon to restore so i can take the wife and kids fishing or what ever. the wife has not been able to go fishing on my bassboat since she started having lower back problems. my question is is there an age where you should scrap pontoons? i dont want to spend lots of time and money on one that will not be safe. i am not scared of hard work and i can afford to piece something together. and i forgot to mention im cheap! not a complete noob to restoring so that part does not scare me(see the link in my sig). now for the kicker, he wants $500 for the whole thing. im thinking about it......any suggestions would be helpfull as i need to figure out what im going to do in the next couple weeks.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Re: thinking about it......

If the toons look good I wouldn't be concerned about it .sounds like a great deal the toons are worth asking price per toon . Sounds like a good project .

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Yea if the logs are good (no leaks) its a steel. Lots of work but lots of fun after. Just go through the framing with a fine tooth comb.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

If your in Oklahoma then I assume the boat has only been in freshwater? If not in saltwater corrosion should not be a problem unless there was an electrical problem causing electrolysis. Look for pitting in the aluminum toons. Maybe he's just had enough and a little TLC will make it a nice boat.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I think im gonna get it. Got to wait till after next week when we get back from key west.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Pontoons can be easily rebuilt and its not unknown for 1960 model boats to be in use. Of all the boats out there a pontoon is the most easy to rebuild and you can set it up how ever you like. Two people can re deck one in a weekend.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Do you have any Pics of the pontoon? The first thing I would do is make sure the motor is ok, then go from there.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor is old so im betting on a tune up and waterpump but i can do that myself.this will be my first merc EVER! always been a rude guy. was more concerned about the boat itself.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is a 1968 Harris and she's still kickin', though a little battered. Older toons are great for setting up for fishing. I'd love to get ahold of one of the Trackers with the all aluminum deck to rebuild. Sounds like you found a good project boat to fix up.