Thinking About buying a regal rush jet boat

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking about buying a regal jet boat but, It has broken piston rings on the #2 Cyl. Which has beat up the head and damage the cylinder walls. They asking 1,000 for it. I would like to know if this is a good deal and what cost I could expect in rebuilding the engine. alsi what would cause this damage?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Thinking About buying a regal rush jet boat

Hi, Dale.

Welcome to iboats. :)

What engine is that? Is it an outboard?

If you are asking about the boat you need to repost this in the Boat Forum.

If you are asking about the engine you need to identify it, then repost in the Troubles Forum for that make of engine.

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice

It's the mercury 90 sport jet

tashasdaddy

just so you know the 90hp sport jet is 90hp at the power head, but is only about 60hp at the jet output. you loose that much horse power with a jet verses a proped motor. what year is it. what condition is the boat in. at this point you are buying a hull with a big black anchor. no way of knowing cost until you break it down.

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 1995 rush model 14 foot. With sport jet 90.The hull and the trailer are in excellent shape the seats will need to be recover.
The engine is really clean the owner has pulled the head of it and the water passage are super clean. No rust or corrosion that I saw. The #2 is shot will probably clean out at .030

Davidmoody

Cadet

I am interested in purchasing a 14' Regal Rush for $500 ....of course the engine is cooked....?
I'm pricing a replacement ....
Are these good boats or mechanical nightmares...?

Davidmoody

Cadet

Any ideas on purchasing a Regal Rush 14'...of course engine is cooked.... $500

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Deleted....

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is not a good deal - the 90 sport jet is not a great motor; neither reliable or powerful, and as time marches on the parts are getting harder to find. I think all of them have blown up twice by now LOL. Upholstry isnt cheap either, so I would suggest spending more on a more recent, better engineered jet boat, or a conventional IO or outboard bowrider that has a good parts supply.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

just so you know the 90hp sport jet is 90hp at the power head, but is only about 60hp at the jet output. you loose that much horse power with a jet verses a proped motor. what year is it. what condition is the boat in. at this point you are buying a hull with a big black anchor. no way of knowing cost until you break it down.

30% loss is the worst case for a jet outboard with a radial/centrifugal type pump. Sportjets aren't radial pumps, they are mixed/axial flow, which are far more efficient.

But in any case, take the post above mine seriously. I've owned a couple SJ 90/95's, and they were far from overpowered. The problem was that they took an already weak engine (force), and then stuck it in the back of a tail heavy/nose light boat. With the addition of smart tabs, it actually performs quite nicely, but without them, its a dog to get out of the hole. Top speed will be mid 30's to 40.

JB

What are you thinking?? This is a six year old thread that has been dead for six years.

Interesting topic. . .deserves a new thread rather than a hijack..