Things are getting out of hand.....

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer
High Schooler charged with 2nd degree terror charge for short story about zombies<br /><br />CLARK COUNTY<br />Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding<br /> <br /><br />A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.<br /><br />Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.<br /><br />Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.<br /><br />"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."<br /><br />Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.<br /><br />Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.<br /><br />"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"<br />said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."<br /><br />On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.<br /><br />Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.<br /><br /><br />If this is what's happening to this country, I'm never having kids. They don't deserve this kind of crap.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Things are getting out of hand.....

Makes me wonder if Stephen King or Tom Clancy should go into hiding. Maybe we should resort to "FAHRENHEIT 451" which Ray Bradbury published over 50 years ago and have government controled censorship.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If this a case of paranoid grand parents and bureaucratic law enforcers thinking they enforce the patriot act,then all these "responsible grownups" should be taught a lesson about civil rights and protection under the constitution.High school kids have the same civil rights as grown ups.<br />If this is a potential columbine kid then they saved us a bag of trouble.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Never thought I'd see the day, but I agree with you guys.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Kenneth Brown

Captain

To bad it didn't happen in Texas. The kid could get off because a personal journal/dairiy (SP) is considered off limits. Anything found inside is not admissable.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Start the arrests in Hollywood tonight, There are enough horror films that feature schools to keep the prosecutors busy

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad I'm not having Easter dinner at their house.....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm so ashamed of my state right now. :(

SoulWinner

Commander

Amen Lester. I think in the end the cops and prosecutors are gonna come out looking like incompetent boobs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

SW<br /> and that is a suprise :) ?

KRS

Banned

Ya, let's blame the street cops for this.... sheesh... glad I'm not your public servant.<br /><br />Prosecuters yes.... but leave the cops out of it. They file a report (it's their job) then a detective is assigned, and they (along with the prosecuters) can make a case out of it if they want. They may be responsible for carrying out the wishes of the judicial system in your state, but you are responsible for electing judges.

KRS

Banned

And yes, it is completely ridiculous!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

what the???? I'd sure like to read that story. I'm reading a novel right now that's about a plot to assasinate a presidential candidate. And Independendence Day is running on FOX right now. why aren't those writers and producers in jail?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Firefighter- I AM a cop. The cops taking the initial report should have blowed it off. I will agree though if they did and the kid turns out crazy that they would be living in the projects because they would definetely lose everything if he went berserk.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Someone might want to warn the<br />percussion ensemble, before their performance on April 16th.<br />Morehead State University <br />Percussion Ensemble II<br />Brian S. Mason - Director<br />Wednesday, April 16<br />Duncan Recital Hall<br />Morehead, Kentucky<br />program to include:<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />The Grand Ambulation of the Bb Zombies<br />Wow, the zombies will be walking, in a school, at a function!!!<br /><br />Better call out the Nat Guard.

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Firefighter- I AM a cop. The cops taking the initial report should have blowed it off. I will agree though if they did and the kid turns out crazy that they would be living in the projects because they would definetely lose everything if he went berserk.
Thank you for the note... did you read the first post? Quote: "Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill."<br /><br />Repeat... it's a felony. I may agree that it is crap but I have enough faith in the street cop to make an arrest for a felony and let the prosecutor/judge work it out/throw it out/whatever.<br /><br />I don't think that blowing it off would be in the best interest of anyone.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Yet again proof positive that the anyone who WANTS to be in a position of power over other people should be automatically barred from being in charge of anything more dangerous than a blunt chocolate bar. <br /><br />It strikes me that more damage has been done to this world by people who think they can make the world a better place by imposing their own ridiculous ideals on others than by the "threats" they think they are dealing with.<br /><br />I hold up as examples:-<br /><br />This particular incident.<br />Hitler<br />Tony Blair<br />George W Bush<br />Osama BinLiner<br /><br />I now fully expect to be arrested and held for 3 years without trial whilst being beaten and photographed for expressing these sentiments,as is the wont of the British government.<br /><br />It might sound far-fetched but is it REALLY that far from the truth?