They are going to have to make these generators idiot proof

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: They are going to have to make these generators idiot proof

Unfortunately people don't think.<br /><br />Most generators come covered in warning labels, but you have to read them to acknowledge their benefit.<br /><br />My generator is so noisy that I stash it in the truck bed to try to cut down on the racket.

ZmOz

Captain

I believe that's referred to as darwinism.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Did anybody else notice 25 your old woman with 12 year old daughter? :eek: 47 year old companion? Yup, Darwinism.<br /><br />It is terribly sad, but jeeez.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

There were several families there, it didnt say the 12 yr old was the 25 yr olds child.<br /><br />I agree the adults were darwin, but the children were innocent victims.<br /><br />Also, you have to remember there are many people that have never even started a lawnmower, much less ever ran a generator. Someone brought them the generator and failed to tell them not to run it in the house.<br /><br />Ken

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Seems like they could have a CO2 detectors on these generators that would cut it off for these idiots that continue to run these generators inside.<br /><br />Ken
That won't stop people from eating the generators or dropping them on their head. No such thing as "proof" for the die-hard idiot. Very sad about the family though. No one deserves that. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I would bet that CO2 detector/cutoffs will be on new generators in a few years.<br /><br />Lawsuits will make them.<br /><br />Actually not a bad idea and wouldnt add too much to the cost.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Carbon Monoxide is CO. <br /><br />Though Carbon Dioxide, CO2, is poisonous in high concentrations, it is almost benign compared to CO.<br /><br />CO was the culprit here. There are many CO detectors on the market. Any home heated by fire or which has fire present should have CO detectors. That includes fire in a cylinder of an IC engine.

QC

Supreme Mariner

That article has changed a little since you first posted, it is sounding less definitive now, but I was sure it said daughter before.<br /><br />Didn't mean to sound cold. It just struck me as somehow related. Totally agree this is a tragedy for the children and the adults as well.

QC

Supreme Mariner

One of tha main reasons that CO is so dangerous is that the skin actually gets pinker leading potential resuers to believe everything is OK . . .

FSHKPR

Ensign

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> but I was sure it said daughter before.<br />Didn't mean to sound cold. It just struck me as somehow related.
HOW?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by FSHKPR:<br />
Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> but I was sure it said daughter before.<br />Didn't mean to sound cold. It just struck me as somehow related.
HOW?
OK FSHKPR, I thought I read that a 25 year old died along with her three kids 7, 9 and 12 and a 47 year old companion. That combo is what I responded to, and I submit that there is something wrong with THAT picture that might possibly be related to intelligence. Maybe not, but there are some generalizations I am willing to make when given information. I know that may seem to be a leap for some, but I think it is reasonable. I don't believe that all girls that have babies at 13 are stupid and I don't think all relationships between 47 year old men and 25 year old women are bad either, but, again, the combo seems to indicate some issues to me.<br /><br />I see now that what I thought I read and what is CURRENTLY in the article are different. If originally reported as it is now, I have a different reaction. It’s that simple.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

but was this in there earlier:<br /><br />
<br />County Judge Carl Griffith said today he has become so frustrated with the federal relief effort that he has instructed all local officials to use police force if they have to to take supplies from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.<br /><br />"If you have enough policemen to take it from them, take it," Griffith said.<br /><br />

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Quietcat is right, the article changed.<br /><br />Probably the idiot media didnt check their sources correctly, and then fixed it in the edited article.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We will also get to pay for CO detectors in our vehicles, to prevent someone from committing suicide.<br />Then the detector will fail and someone will die accidentally, and the family will be awarded 37 million from the auto maker.<br /><br />Or they will disable the detector/ignition cutoff system and commit suicide. End result, automaker is still sued for millions.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Man that's sad. Probably if they put CO detectors on them after they went off a couple of times people would disable them. :( <br /><br />Dave..

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Carbon Monoxide is CO. <br /><br />Though Carbon Dioxide, CO2, is poisonous in high concentrations, it is almost benign compared to CO.<br /><br />CO was the culprit here. There are many CO detectors on the market. Any home heated by fire or which has fire present should have CO detectors. That includes fire in a cylinder of an IC engine.
Just to add a wee bit more to this: CO2 is a "respiration driver" and in increased amounts within the body will actually make you breathe quicker. If you've ever had an anaesthetic during an operation you'll be given some CO2 to bring you around quicker. Of course in very large amounts it will kill you.<br /><br />To lighten the mood a little: several years ago a guy was brought into our Accident & Emergency Unit after he tried to commit suicide by gassing himself in his garage with the engine of his car running. Unfortunately his car was a new SAAB which had a catalytic convertor fitted.......after a few hours he got bored of waiting and decided to speed up his death by sucking the fumes directly from the exhuast pipe: which was now red hot :rolleyes: <br />We treated him for burns to his mouth :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

They finally got the story straight.<br /><br />*************************************<br />BEAUMONT - After evacuating to Mississippi to escape Hurricane Rita's wrath, Billy Coleman returned home to find the electricity out at his north Beaumont apartment. <br /><br /><br />Early Monday — more than 48 hours after Rita made landfall and long after it swept northeast — the lasting effects of the storm delivered a tragic blow to Coleman and six others staying with him. A portable generator the family used to run fans inside its stifling, sweaty apartment produced carbon monoxide, which overcame those inside. Coleman, 47, was killed, along with three children, ages 12, 10 and 7, and his girlfriend's sister, 25.<br /><br />Coleman's girlfriend, Irene Bean, 29, who is the children's mother, and another child, Emery Reese, 8, were hospitalized in critical condition. Another youngster, a 12-year-old girl, was treated at a medical facility and released.<br /><br />Officials at the scene said they found six to seven times the amount of the lethal dosage of carbon monoxide fumes inside the apartment. The victims may have been exposed to the deadly fumes for more than seven hours, Beaumont Fire Department Capt. Mark Clapp said.<br /><br />The deaths are believed to be the first hurricane-related fatalities in Beaumont, city officials said.<br /><br />The horrific scene was overwhelming for neighbors already pushed to the limit by Rita's fury.<br /><br />"It's too much," said Terry Jackson, 28, who had just returned home to pick up belongings after evacuating to Houston with his wife and two children.<br /><br />"This is just too much. I left (my family) in Houston this morning, and I come back to see kids die," Jackson said.<br /><br />The poisonings were discovered when Coleman's daughter, Quanishia Haynes, drove past the apartment at the Pine Club complex and gave a friendly honk, only to see her 12-year-old sister stumble outside the front door, vomiting.<br /><br />Haynes and her boyfriend ran inside to find her father and others unresponsive.<br /><br />They frantically dragged the victims outside to the sidewalk, covered by a green carpet of pine needles.<br /><br />Another resident at the complex, Kevin Dwayne Hall, said he walked outside shortly before 10 a.m. to find two children and an adult sprawled on the sidewalk and gasping for air.<br /><br />Daniel Tierott, 31, said he and other neighbors helped pull the remaining family members from the apartment and tried to improvise performing CPR.<br /><br />"We just tried our best, man," Tierott said as he fought back tears. "I just did what I've seen on television."<br /><br />A seven-hour exposure to carbon monoxide renders the blood incapable of carrying oxygen, making revitalization efforts futile, fire department officials said.<br /><br />"There's nothing anyone could have done for them," Clapp said.<br /><br />Coleman, a construction worker, apparently collapsed while making his way to his apartment door, his daughter said.<br /><br />She harshly criticized the government, saying the family came home when their funds ran low and no help was available.<br /><br />"Government is letting all of us down," Haynes told the Associated Press.<br /><br />"Ain't nobody want to live in Beaumont with no lights. Ain't nobody wanting to live in Beaumont having to boil your water and no gas. Ain't nobody helping us. Some people from Hurricane Katrina still ain't been helped," she said.<br /><br />C.J. Collins, a resident of the apartment complex, said he had worried for the family's safety when he heard them start the generator.<br /><br />"I should have told them. I should have told them," Collins said, as he broke down in tears.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Two more dead:<br /><br />******************************<br />Carbon monoxide fumes from portable generators have claimed yet more lives in the wake of Hurricane Rita.<br /><br /> <br />A man and woman in their 40s were found dead in their New Caney home Wednesday. They were running a portable generator inside because of power outages, KHOU-TV reported.

ehenry

Commander

I dont understand how that could happen unless they had the exhaust blowing straight in an oper window of the apartment. If that was the case who would want to listen to a generator when its that close to the house? Doesn't make sense to me.