thermostat

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
I just installed a new water pump on my 1999 Johnson 50 horse. I have the water hose connected but the motor does not pee at slow RPM's. It does pee at 2500 RPM or so. Is the thermostat normally closed at engine start up and prevents water flow until the engine is up to operating temperature? thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Should pee right away. Was the old waterpump in one piece when you took it out? Was it peeing good before you replaced the pump.

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
Gentlemen, I am ashamed to admit this but after I went to bed I figured it out. I had the impeller vanes set to run counter clockwise instead of clock wise. I'm truly sorry to have bothered you. I apologize .

Mike

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
Well, the impeller was going the right direction, just like the original. There is a different issue. The original impeller had a recess in the bottom side to receive an "O" ring but the new impeller had none and the kit had one of the correct size. I installed the "O" ring under the impeller the same as original. This forced the impeller up so it rubbed hard up against the stainless steel cup and about 0.125" above the bottom plate. The steel cup has a tab sticking up that engages the plastic cap. The tab was pretty well flattened out and allowed the cup to spin in the plastic cap. I plan to leave the offending "O" ring out and this should give the impeller enough clearance to rotate freely. Maybe I got it right this time. We'll see when I get the lower unit installed. Thanks for your patience.

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
Mornin' Boobie................I got rid of the VRO, rebuilt the carbs, got the water pump done right and finally got it running.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Those orings in an oem kit are for just under the splines.

A couple aftermarket kits use them under or over the impellar or between cup and housing but whenever I find aftermarket it goes in the circular file cabinet and is replaced.