Thermostat

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On my 78 235hp evinrude i have 2 thermostats i really don't know if they are in or not. The temp just about goes over 100 degrees while running wide open or idling. When i shut it off and let it sit and then turn the key to the on position it goes to 160. Just wondering if i will do any harm running this cool or is it fine. I also felt the water coming out and it also felt really cool. Thanks for any help

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thermostat

IMO if you can touch it while it's running you're just fine.

Why not pop off the thermostat covers one at a time and check if water is flowing through them?

Here's what I did recently for mine with no thermostats thanks to previous owner- From cold start on the muffs, pull off one thermostat cover (noting of course whether the previous owner removed it and then doing something about it) and start it up. If no water put it back on and pull the other one and start it up and see what happens. At some point water ought to come pouring out of an open cover. Note that my do one at a time advice is purely from my one cause/effect experience. As long as you have water on the impeller don't worry about letting it go for a bit to be sure that it managed to move the water up the tube it could take a bit.

If you can touch the head while it's running hard on the water and it's peeing and you know from removing thermostat covers that it's actually flowing water through them (peeing doesn't necessarily mean that water is going through the heads it just helps you tell whether your water pump is out of action) then I wouldn't worry about it.

Also if you don't know the last time the impeller was replaced, replace it.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Wait where do you live? Ambient water temp will have a lot to do with temp of water coming out of the telltale.

Edit: Previous statement about how it's running assuming that you do in fact have properly functioning thermostats installed.

Last edited:

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live in Florida water temp is about 87 degrees. I did notice when i rev it in neutral water spits out the pee whole on the thermostat housing. The power head feels very hot to the touch compared to the water coming out the pee whole. I just put a brand new gauge and temp sender on.