Thermostat. Why so much?

hazmat5760

Seaman
I was at NAPA getting spark plugs, and asked about a thermostat for my 350 mag. They were anywere from $23 to $33! What the heck is so special about them?

The $23 was without any gaskets.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thermostat. Why so much?

Why? Because they can. I agree with you. A new thermostat, WITH GASKETS, should not cost any more than an auto thermostat, maybe $15-$18. Once again, marine parts, even when they aren't really different from auto parts are top-heavy on price. Hy

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I was at NAPA getting spark plugs, and asked about a thermostat for my 350 mag. They were anywere from $23 to $33! What the heck is so special about them?

The $23 was without any gaskets.

You're kidding right?

I went to the Chev dealer a couple of years ago to get 2 thermostats for my 94 Suburban and they were $40 each! What's wrong with $23?

You might be able to beat it at Walmart.

Otherwise, $23 sounds like a bargain....

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow it was only 20 for the one for my freightliner.......ouch!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

that's why you never want to get parts like that from the dealer. I didn't. I went to an auto parts place and bought 2 new Stant t-stats for something like $10 or $15 etc.

But this is a few years later......the price of everything has pretty much gone up... $20 for a "Marine t-stat is not out of the realm of possibility.

Ebasic Power gets anywhere from about $10-20+ for a T-stat......(not including shipping)

So $20 at a local store on the shelf is pretty reasonable I would think....

Provo5

Seaman

I just ordered a new T Stat w/gaskets for 14.00 on line. Bought new hoses shipping was 10.00 for all.

Fun Times

Staff member

Keep in mind, Most marine thermostats are made of stanless steel giving the price a little bump up over the auto stuff.;)

proxyx

Banned

Aren't they all? none of them really rusts. How bout Wal-Mart? 5-8 bucks.
If they say "marine" on a box expect 2x-3x price. Small turnover.

proxyx

Banned

not a mechanic, I just enjoy boating... drop your thermostat in a bucket of water and come back in a month, you'll understand then...

fabrimacator21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a boat mechanic but I have done some research on marine water pumps and what I was told is that unless your in salt water, auto stuff will last just fine... maybe not as long as marine but it will get the job done for a few years.

Honestly that t-stat is only 10 bucks over auto stuff.... doesn't seem THAT bad.

I feel your pain though... marine stuff can be pocket draining. 300 bucks for a new marine water pump.:eek:

hazmat5760

Seaman

Crap, the last two t-stats I bought for my truck and car were only 6 bucks each!

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello;

I do check prices --- cheap I guess or I am tired of my A**hole being sore.

In my last order I bought a nice thermostat from Iboats ( I'll post names if they have good prices and service --- both here ) for about $15.00 --- it came with gasket for ford, chevy, and an O-Ring. This was a nice full flow thermostat !

All this stuff came right to my front door --- saved money on gas too !

OFM

hazmat5760

Seaman

Problem being I don't have credit cards, so anything other than ebay is out for me.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Cheapest I can get one for my Volvo 4 cylinder is $44.99. The Sierra list price is $71.49. Not sure about the temp range of yours but for mine,the marine version opens at 140 F. Automotive are 160 and 195. Welcome to the world of boating!

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Some say a boat is a hole in the water you fill with money!!!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hello;

I do check prices --- cheap I guess or I am tired of my A**hole being sore.

In my last order I bought a nice thermostat from Iboats ( I'll post names if they have good prices and service --- both here ) for about $15.00 --- it came with gasket for ford, chevy, and an O-Ring. This was a nice full flow thermostat !

All this stuff came right to my front door --- saved money on gas too !

OFM

Buy some lube while you are there..it helps.

Ian

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a boat mechanic but I have done some research on marine water pumps and what I was told is that unless your in salt water, auto stuff will last just fine... maybe not as long as marine but it will get the job done for a few years.
Using auto parts in a marine environment -- salt or fresh -- is never a good idea.