Thermostat/Impeller problems

Kerry S

Recruit
I have 98 model 125hp Force motor. I have a water pressure gauge on console. Last time I took it out pressure gauge dropped down to about 5 psi and an alarm started going off under console. Motor wouldn't go over 3000 rpm's. Buddy of mine told me that there's a safety on the motor that want let the motor run wide open if there's a problem, to prevent messing motor up. Can someone tell me how to trouble shoot whether its the thermostat or the impeller that might be the problem. If I take the hose off the motor going to gauge no water comes out, but the pisser shoots water out good. Had someone else tell me that even though I have water coming out the pisser doesn't necessarily mean the impeller is good.
​Thanks for some help
Kerry

Last edited:

Kerry S

Recruit
I just recently bought the pontoon, and these little are creeping up on me. Already had to replace the starter, now this problem has started. I have some cosmetic issues I was going to work on this winter. But I want to make sure the motor gonna be dependable. I've heard good and bad about the Force motor. Guess I'm fixing to find out for myself!!!!

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would most definitely change the impeller. then give it a run. If it still runs hot or shows no water pressure, then I would change the t-stat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
1st!!! them didn't make a 125 in 98.
89 yes.
​The 125 and most 120s didn't have a safe mode for overheating.
​IF??? the buzzer went off? then the impeller should be changed or at least checked.
​But since it's open?? replace it. Nobody really knows how of it is.

​The impeller, there is n way to just check it.
​The thermostat you need to pull it and inspect it and drop it in a glass of very hot water.
Then if it opens up??? it's working.

​If you run in fresh water it's probably not the thermo.

​The sensor can have different heat ranges and so can the thermo.
Figure out the motor??Year, HP??

A pic of the drive will help if the regular #s are gone.

As fa as "a dependable" motor??
​You bought a used motor and along with it came the reasons it was sold??
Things like starters and oil changes, impellers are just normal maint.
The better the maint. the better the motor.

Jiggz

Captain
Start with the easy one. Check the t-stat first for blockage or if it even works. Dismount the t-stat and then place it in a small pot. Using a thermometer slowly heat the water on a stove. It should start opening around 120-130. If it doesn't then it needs to be replaced.

If it opens, then drop the LU and replace the impeller. I still concur with other's recommendation to replace the impeller regardless. This is to make sure you have a good reference how old the impeller is. Depending on usage, impellers should be replaced each year or no more than 2 years, regardless if the boat was used or not.