"The Vault" Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice
My 2008 single axle EZ Loader trailer came with "The Vault" bearings. The cover says Hybrid Oil - No Service Required.

Are these truly maintenance free? I doubt it but wondered what anyone knows about them. Recommended service intervals (fresh water)?

Thanks

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: "The Vault" Bearings

You mean no more overheated bearings sitting along side the road on opening day of fishing season? How boring?.

That is one nice set up.

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link!

Looks like they are sticking to the no maintenance story. I love the concept just hope I don't find out the hard way that it's marketing hype.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

At ambient temperatures the oil is thick with a viscosity approaching grease. As the bearing temperature rises during towing, the VAULT?s Hybrid Oil thins out replenishing the bearings with lubricant and dissipating heat.

Marketing hype. The same exact description would be used for grease lubrication as well.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Marketing hype. The same exact description would be used for grease lubrication as well.

Point well taken,
It is my understanding that it is when this process does not occur within the bearing race that problems begin to happen

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice lookin deals, probably last ten years or better in freshwater.

Probably a spin in the beginning of each season will give you a good idea of the condition of the bearings. I wonder is it just a bolt on deal that you throwaway when its dies ? Looks pretty sealed, like late model style lubed for life and disposable automotive wheel hubs/bearing.

jhtaylor

Seaman Apprentice

I am a manufacturing maintenance guy. My experience with sealed bearings tells me two things. One, a factory sealed and prelubed bearing will outlast one that someone is pumping to much grease into, and two, when you dip a warm or hot bearing into cold water it will definitely cool and suck water through the seal. If it deosn't do this on the first few dunks, it will eventually do it. It would be hard to convince me that any sealed bearing on a boat trailer would work better than a "properly" filled Bearing Buddy.

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice

^^^
Good points above.

I'll keep an eye on them for leaks and do the spin test occasionally.

Based on the responses so far this seems to be a rare/new option. I'm a little surprised as this is on an entry level boat (albeit new, Glastron GT 185 delivered 4-08) with what I thought was an entry to mid level EZ Loader trailer. Maybe I should be even more leery. ;)

Thanks

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

^^^
Good points above.

I'll keep an eye on them for leaks and do the spin test occasionally.

Based on the responses so far this seems to be a rare/new option. I'm a little surprised as this is on an entry level boat (albeit new, Glastron GT 185 delivered 4-08) with what I thought was an entry to mid level EZ Loader trailer. Maybe I should be even more leery. ;)

Thanks

Why be 'leery'? Don't let the Doubting Thomases dampen your enjoyment of what looks like a newer, and better, approach....

I would investigate the details of the 10 year warranty (unlimited mileage) that is mentioned in the brochure!

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

when i was at the sportsman show in minnapolis last weekend i made a point to look at trailers to see if any had "Vault" bearings. i didn't see any. shorelander was using oil bath hubs and everybody else just had standard hubs with bearing buddies (or a knock off of bearing buddy). maybe they got EZ loader to put them on as a kind of test market idea.

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice

Why be 'leery'? Don't let the Doubting Thomases dampen your enjoyment of what looks like a newer, and better, approach....

I would investigate the details of the 10 year warranty (unlimited mileage) that is mentioned in the brochure!

Thanks.

Anymore "new and improved" usually just means "cheaper". I honestly don't believe that's the case here.

Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.