the unthinkable!

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice
i just thought that id share with everyone the horror that happened today, after my first trial run with my boat (everything went well except for whats in my other post on johnson motor forum)and on the way home with my dad driving (he insisted driving because it was his truck) took a turn to fast, and my not sufficiently strapped down boat flew off the trailer! some very nice people stopped and helped me hoist the boat back on with relativly minor damage (many scrapes, almost 1" shaved off the back corner and a broken propeller) but i thought i should let this be a lesson to everyone! strap your boat good!<br />~erk

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: the unthinkable!

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you will have her soon again cruising the water.<br /><br />Today, after working in the center console of the Tai-Tai (see separate post) I walked to take a closer look at a nice boat that called my attention yesterday. It is a wonderful center console, brand new, brilliant white, t-top, may rod-holders, etc. A beauty. Guess what, when I was close, I noticed a 35 or more inches long heavy impact exactly on the V edge of the bow. I asked a guy at the marina and told me that yesterday, on the inaugural trip, the owner (a first time boater) decided to return at night. Didn't see the rocks entering the marina, and crashed the boat. Several damages on the hull, including the incredible impact on the V edge. A little bit more, and opened the hull. <br /><br />Safety first and common sense. Period.<br /><br />The price can be high when you play with risky conditions.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

When you say it wasn't strapped down sufficiently, how was it strapped - or was it not strapped? Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to maximize your learning experience to the rest of us!

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

i only strapped the front, i thought the braces would be enough for the back :confused: for the 5 mile drive i was wrong!

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank god its only aluminum!!Posts like this remind the rest of us why we do things the right way.Thanks for sharing,and buy a couple of tie-downs.<br /><br /><br /> :eek: Jim

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

Another lesson, never trust anyone else to strap down your boat, no matter how much experience they have.<br /><br />We picked our boat up from the dealer after having service done. The drive home, the boat just seemed to be moving more than usual when hitting small bumps in the road. The boat being fairly new to us, we first thought...hmm has it always been like that? <br /><br />Finally my husband pulled over. Sure enough the transom ties were loose. All was better with a little tightening.<br /><br />It took us 20 miles before we pulled over...Next time we will trust our gut. And We won't trust the work of someone else. Always do your checks before you head out on the road.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I agree with mollyog74, Never,Never let anyone else attach your rig to the trailer. Oh, You can show them and teach them, but do all the things yourself.