The Unknown Warrior is entombed

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In Wellington (our capitil city) on the 11th of this month starting at the 11th hour, the ceremony to entomb the Unknown Warrior began. This warrior was exhumed from France where he was buried following the conclusion of World War one. We have always had yearly parades for our war dead but now we have a nother reason to remember. I believe having one of those brave souls over here after so long is good for all of us. I had tears in my eyes when the entourage with full military honours made its way to the tomb. This could even be a relative of mine, thats the great thing about it, the whole country is buzzing about how it could be their father or grandfather......<br />The honour and pride of all our dead overseas got a boost with this event. <br />We will never forget....<br />Ross

crab bait

Captain
Re: The Unknown Warrior is entombed

that's great ,ROSS..<br /><br />why'd it take so long for it to happen..??

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Our government is'nt well known for recognising the events following wars. They have been 60 years making this happen, goodness knows why!<br />The polititions all troup out to show their respects on the various celebration days but try as you might to pin them down for the survivours of Vietnam or Korea who need help and there's the same problem your government has accepting some folks health needs.<br />Ross

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, i understand..<br /><br />our 'tomb of the unknown soldger' is not unknown anymore.. a DNA test did the job..

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ross, all I can say is better late than never. <br /><br />We had a parade and celebration in town yesterday for a kid who made it to the major league baseball team in Houston this year. He's a good kid and did make a great showing for himself in the Astro's playoff run. Hundreds turned out on a cold and windy day. I am happy for him and proud of him but I couldn't help but think of last year when the local US Marine recerve unit came home from a year activation in the mideast and about 50 people showed up to welcome them back. Sometimes priorities seem to get really screwed up.<br /><br />Crabby, do you know why they did the DNA test? If I remember right the soldier was from WWI and it would seem to me that most of his close family would be gone by now. IMHO it kinda takes away from the purpose of the Unknown which is to remember all of our soldiers who have fallen on the battlefield.

crab bait

Captain

exactly my view , MR LF..<br /><br />no i do not know.. matter-o-fact,, i almost didn't 'post' cause i wasn't quite sure if it really happend or not..<br /><br />there's somethin' so modern day america about having to use our techno to just havfta solve every cottonpickin' thing.. <br />it's almost sickening..<br /><br />shoulda just left well enuff alone..

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well down here they're saying that they will never know who our unknown soldier is, so I would take it (and hope) that they won't do any DNA tests. That's the way it should be...but with the ever-moving target of "political correctness", who knows what they might do in future :rolleyes: - he wouldn't be the unknown solder then.<br /><br />My family also lost some ancestors in WWI and my feelings on the subject are much the same as Ross's.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mr. Ladyfish,<br />The DNA test was done on the tomb of the unknowns from Vietnam. DNA tests proved that the remains were one First Lieutenant Michael Joseph Blassie. His remains were returned to his family in 1998. <br /><br />-Joe

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for clearing that up Joe. I was under the impression it was from the WWI soldier.