The Two Stroke Oil Debate

torpedoseal

Cadet
I have a '04 150L Mercury EFI which I recently bought. The shop were I bought it said if I didn't run the Mercury Premium Plus oil I'd void the warranty. The oil runs about $26/ gallon at their shop, but I've seen other TC-3W oil for as cheap as $5/gallon. Does it hurt to run with a different brand oil? Every company has their propaganda I realize that. Quicksilver says there's is the best and has out performed Mercury oil in lab tests but Mercury says theirs is better. I've seen the Penzoil and Johnson's Brand say about the same and now I'm confused. Am I taking a risk if I run the cheaper TC-3W? What do you guys think?

Laddies

Banned
Re: The Two Stroke Oil Debate

That shop needs to be taken to task, Mercury Marine only will recommend their oil (as they were taken to court years ago and lost) the also recommend any TCW III oil

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe running any oil as long as it is TC-W3 will void your warranty. As far as I know Quicksilver is Merc. I personally use Premium Plus, but I buy mine from the dealer in bulk. I bring my own 5 gal. jug, & he fills it from his 55 gal. drum. It costs me about $12.00 a gal. that way. I've done that since I bought the engine new from him in 1995. 0 problems so far, it's a 225 EFi, & runs great, but I think it would have run good on any good TC-w3 oil. IMHO Joe

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Like the guys said, torpedoseal, Merc can't require their own brand of oil, they can only recommend. Look in the owner's manual and I think you'll see that - you'll also see a specific specification (!?) for the type of oil - probably TCW3 - you need to put in there, and any oil meeting that specification is OK and won't void the warranty.<br /><br />That said, it certainly won't hurt - either your engine or the potential hassle-factor if you need warranty work done by that shop. But, you should be able to find Merc or Quicksilver oil in bulk for much cheaper than that. It wouldn't hurt to keep oil receipts because it sounds like this guy might hard ball you if you need warranty work done.<br /><br />Bottom line is the guy is BS'ing you and I personally don't like guys like that, like Laddies said, he needs to be called to task - either you call "BS" on him, or just bring your business elsewhere.