The Secret Election of a new Pope

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
The Cardinals are sequestered and it is a secret meeting. All contact from the outside world is cut off during the process.<br /><br />WHY is it that they have installed "special devices" to prevent cell phone use from the Cardinal's? Can't they be trusted!!!<br /> :eek: <br />Bob

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: The Secret Election of a new Pope

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> The Cardinals are sequestered and it is a secret meeting. All contact from the outside world is cut off during the process.<br /><br />WHY is it that they have installed "special devices" to prevent cell phone use from the Cardinal's? Can't they be trusted!!!<br /> :eek: <br />Bob
Ofcourse they can't be trusted! :) <br />Just Kidding. From what I understand at some point in time a pope died and they had no-one to replace him. After months of having no new pope the people (you and me if we had been there) locked the bishops up and told them not to come out until they had another pope elected..and so it is today..<br />This is just the story I have heard and it may well be all wrong.<br />Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.<br /><br />Link

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On April 18, 115 cardinals from 52 different countries and 5 continents will gather to elect the 265th pope. Click on the titles at left for more information about the conclave. <br /><br />At 10 a.m. Rome time (4 a.m. ET) the Mass “Pro Eligiendo Papa” will take place. In the afternoon at 10:30 a.m. ET, the cardinals will walk from St. Marta to the Sistine Chapel. There, the solemn oath will take place, and every cardinal will swear singularly, following the ritual procedure. Only then the master of ceremonies will speak out the “extra omnes.”<br />On the first day, there may not be time for a voting session, as the cardinals will end late.<br /> <br /> <br />During the conclave, the timing of the days will be the following:<br /><br />1:30 a.m. ET: Daily Mass in St. Marta<br /><br />3 a.m. ET: 2 voting sessions <br /><br />10 a.m. ET: 2 voting sessions<br /><br />To be elected, a 2/3 majority of the 115 is needed. If no one is elected after 3 days, there will be a day of prayer without voting. The same will happen every 7 voting sessions. If after 33 voting sessions the Pope is still not chosen, the Cardinals can decide by a 50%+1 majority to change the 2/3 majority needed and have a 50%+1 majority instead. <br /><br />After the voting, the voting papers will be burned (roughly at 6 a.m. ET and 1 p.m. ET in the afternoon).<br />If the Pope is elected, at the same time white smoke comes out of the chimney, the bells of St.. Peter’s Basilica will ring.<br /><br />It will take approximately 40-45 minutes between the white smoke and the new Pope coming out to the balcony of St. Peter.<br /><br />During the days of the conclave, no tourists will be allowed on St. Peter’s dome nor in the Vatican gardens. They may visit John Paul II’s grave.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey Spinner since your good at looking things up could you get a date on what I just mentioned??<br />It was a long time ago.

SpinnerBait_Nut

The right of election is confined to the cardinals, the effective choice being placed in the hands of the cardinal bishops: clergy and people have a right of acclamation only. <br /><br />The right of confirmation is granted to the Emperor Henry IV and to such of his successors as should personally request and receive the privilege. <br /><br />The pope need not necessarily be taken from the number of cardinals, though this should be the case if possible. <br /><br />This decree formed the basis of the present legislation on the papal election, though the system underwent considerable development. <br /><br />The first important modification was the Constitution "Licet de Vitanda" [c. vi, X, "De elect." (I, 6)] of Alexander III, the first of the decrees passed by the Third Oecumenical Council of the Lateran (1179). <br /><br />To prevent the evils of a disputed election it was established by this law that no one should be held to be elected until two thirds of the cardinals should have given their votes for him. <br /><br />In this decree no distinction is made between the rights of the cardinal bishops and those of the rest of the Sacred College. <br /><br />The imperial privilege of confirming the election had already become obsolete owing to the breach between the Church and the Empire under Henry IV and Frederick I. <br /><br />Between the death of Clement IV (1268) and the coronation of Gregory X (1272) an interregnum of nearly three years intervened. <br /><br />To prevent a repetition of so great a misfortune the pope in the Council of Lyons (1179) issued the Decree "Ubi periculum" [c. iii, "De elect.", in 60 (I, 6)], by which it was ordained that during the election of a pontiff the cardinals should be secluded from the world under exceedingly stringent regulations, and that the seclusion should continue till they had fulfilled their duty of providing the Church with a supreme pastor. <br /><br />To this electoral session was given the name of the Conclave. This system prevails at the present day.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Link, looks like about 1268 when this went on.

ndemge

Commander

I would think Edmonds would make a good pope, but he's American and would never happen.<br /><br />Pujols on the other hand, this Cardinal is a great batter, fielder and overall great asset to the team. Will the catholic Church be paying to let him out of the contract? <br /><br />I don't understand all this religion stuff, but man, the leader of the Cardinals dies, and EVERYONE turns out, I tell ya, this really is a baseball town!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Curt Schilling is a shoe in. Hey it's red isn't it?

Link

Rear Admiral

Thats sounds about right Spinner and I remember hearing it was about a three year span without having a pope. (I said months earlier) It was on PBS a few weeks ago.<br />Guess I'd better get my Cardinal thing straight too least I offend someone. This is really not my cup of tea but I enjoy learning the history.<br />Also I think I heard someone explain that even though elected, the person still has to except the job correct?<br />They can't just pin it on him??

eeboater

Commander

I was wondering that --- why not an American Pope?<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> I was wondering that --- why not an American Pope?<br /><br />Sean
Can't breakaway from little boys!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Thats sounds about right Spinner and I remember hearing it was about a three year span without having a pope. (I said months earlier) It was on PBS a few weeks ago.<br />Guess I'd better get my Cardinal thing straight too least I offend someone. This is really not my cup of tea but I enjoy learning the history.<br />Also I think I heard someone explain that even though elected, the person still has to except the job correct?<br />They can't just pin it on him??
That is right Link, whomever they choose has to want it, if not, then they do it all over again. But that would be a first for someone to turn it down.<br /><br />Side note, black smoke from chimney today so no pope yet.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

eeboater, if the new Pope looked like the woman in your avatar I might even become a Catholic.<br />:)