Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Dunno why, but I've got that in my mind today (from many years ago). We would all be better off if more people lived by those words.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: The Scout Law

I was a boy scout for a year. While in 6th grade, scouting introduced me to swearing and smoking. One of my scout mates showed how he could fart on command. Somehow, I couldn't master that feat. I did learn how to tie a good bowline though. :)

southkogs

Staff member

There's also:

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Back in the day - my scout leaders would have crushed us for smoking and swearing (though some of the boys still did both). I had some great scout leaders.

Welcome Aboard Copake.

nlain

Commander

I have two grand sons in Scouts, they recently change troops due to lack of leadership, the leader of the new troop runs a tight ship, he expects everyone to do what they are supposed to do. At the same time he also gives recognition where it is needed. The Scout law/rules are a great guide for all to live by.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I was a Boy Scout and reached Life but never Eagle. We had fun and did many things for the community.

I have always wondered why Charitable was not in the Oath.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That and many other things are missing in a lot of people today.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Proud inductee in Order of the Arrow. Anyone else?

Ya mon. Did my ordeal at Pine Trail Reservation in 1980something. I got to Life pretty quickly then got burnt out with only a couple merit badges and a service project to go. Never did get 'er done. One of life's regrets for me.

southkogs

Staff member

Ya mon. Did my ordeal at Pine Trail Reservation in 1980something. I got to Life pretty quickly then got burnt out with only a couple merit badges and a service project to go. Never did get 'er done. One of life's regrets for me.
Almost the same story, 'cept I did order of the Arrow at Charles Howell in Michigan. The OA ordeal weekend is still a fun memory for me. Met a really good friend that weekend.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I think it depends, like a lot of other stuff in life, who you get as a leader. Both my kids were in scouts for a few years and it really proved generally to be more of a source of stress than fun. When they talk about it now (they're in their 20's), I hear about more dislikes than likes. I hear so many stories about good scouting experiences, wish my kids had been so lucky. It can be a great program with the right leaders.

copake

Cadet

Order of the Arrow, Life.
Also a regret for me to not be Eagle. Grateful I still seem to use my knots regularly :).
My family had something over 150 years of service in/leading Troop 6 of Yonkers.
Good times, good men.

aspeck

Staff member

I did the Cub and then graduated to Boy Scout ... for about a year. When I came home from Camp with money in my pocket and dead tired because the Scout Master kept me up all night trying to win the money he lost to me playing poker after he taught me how, let's just say mom was LESS than IMPRESSED!

My take is it is all in the Scout Master and ours was not the greatest.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One of the camping trips I went on, I nearly lost an eye from an M-80 that one of my fellow scouts threw near me. I was threatened by some of the older "fellow scouts" not to tell anyone what happened. Not even sure where the scout leaders were during all of this.

Like Aspeck said, its probably the scout master that determines what the experience will be like. My role model was my dad and he took us camping and taught me way more things than I would ever learn in scouts. Scouting might be good for a boy that doesn't have that good role model and gets lucky enough to get a Scout Master that can supply it.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Order of the Arrow and Life here too. The troop I was in for the most part had a boy join whose mother was a leader and I think they were asked to leave their old troop, or there wasn't a troop left when everyone else left. She was pretty much a dictator and both thought they knew better and was better than everyone else. They pretty much broke up our troop. Several of us joined up with a few that were remnants of another troop where most of the members had graduated and formed a new troop. Most of them were older than me and once they graduated and some of the younger ones quit there wasn't much left. I started going to meetings at another troop but never joined, it just never felt right.

halfmoa

Ensign

Proud inductee in Order of the Arrow. Anyone else?

OA reporting in.

Scouting had a big effect on who I am today. More than anything it gave me respect for the earth. It also taught me a great deal of survival lessons and skills that you just can't learn from a book. I got stranded overnight in a snowstorm with a friend on a fishing trip when I was about 15 and we made it just fine. Scared the crap out of the family though!

A few months ago I had a kid come to the door selling popcorn and I asked him to recite the Scout law. He stumbled about half way through and I finished it for him. I told him if he came back next year and showed me a "Pioneering" merit badge I'd buy twice as much from him.

Man that Pioneering badge was a pain....

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was a cub scout, but basically all we did was arts and crafts with the den mother. I enjoyed the pinewood derby and would have loved doing outdoor stuff, but that never happened so I lost interest. One of my coworkers is a scoutmaster and we are close to a lot of wilderness so his troop does a lot. He asked me to give his scouts some canoe and kayak instruction one time but we couldn't work it out due to all of the beaurocratic hoops and regulations involved.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

OA for me too.Never did make Eagle scout though. Got out of scouting about the time I discovered GIRLS! Lots of great memories from Boy Scouts. Camp Kishawau,-on the Vermillion river.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Take this from an Eagle Scout: "Be Prepared!" And "Do a good deed daily!"

We learned how to drink beer, cuss and smoke cigarettes at Scout Camp. And to think all my scouting buddies graduated from college, grew up and are positive members of society. They had strong values and a sense of right and wrong.

And they always carry little old ladies across the street--whether they want to cross or not.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

OA for me as well. Made it to Life and was all set for Eagle. Then they changed the rules and required 24 merit badges vs. 21. It was then that I dropped out. I've regretted that. I belonged to a great troop. Crossroads of America Council Troop 73. Went to Philmont, and the National Jamboree.