The Restore Function Works!

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
LF is out of town visiting her father. The one thing she expects is that I don't screw something up while she is gone. <br /><br />Tonight I got home and there was a notice on the computer saying that there was a microsoft update ready to be installed. I don't know crap about computer operating systems and LF handles all that stuff on our one at the house. An "update" sounds pretty innocent and easy so I figured what the heck, I'll let it update while I watch the ball game.<br /><br />Big mistake. When it was done the desktop looked the same but none of the programs worked. I couldn't get on the internet or open any other applications. When I clicked on one it would just blink at me and the hourglass would show for a while but nothing happened.<br /><br />After 30 minutes of panic and rebooting the computer I remembered that we were supposed to have a program to restore the system to a previous time. Thank God it worked. I restored it to Monday morning and everything is working like it did when I got home. It's asking me if I want to install the update again. How do you tell a computer "No F'ing Way!"?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The Restore Function Works!

How do you tell a computer "No F'ing Way!"?
132562_4.jpg
~ it works! ;)

Stratosfied

Ensign

Barlow, you ain't right man, but ain't that the truth!LOL! :D :D :D

KaGee

Admiral

I wanna be the computer salesman in Barlow's town!<br />LOL! :D

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mr. Ladyfish<br />The same thing happened to me and I completed the update bad mistake now every time I would open windows about hundred pop up comes on finally used my gateway go back and restored it but its still asking for me to update again

LubeDude

Admiral

One of the best things about Windows XP.<br /><br />By the way, Ladyfish says "HI, Wish you were here". :D :D :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

what was that update?? Was it Xp SP2 (service pack 2)? <br /><br />I recently did the sp2 update (mainly to get windows movie maker v2.2) and all went well. <br /><br />I do use Norton Internet Security, therefore I would not allow XP built in firewall to be turned on, also I would not allow XP to auto Update. I keep that disabled, and do any updates manually by my choice.<br /><br />BTW, before MS would allow the sp2 download and install, MS did some sort of "pre-install" routine. The sp2 download was 94 meg or so, then took about an hour to install and update. I did plant my butt in front of the puter for the duration of the whole process to observe any glitches.<br /><br />I do agree that restore is a life saver, and have used it in the past.<br /><br />My Xp is full home version, registered. A friend of a friends brothers mothers so and so tried to sp2 update a cracked copy of xp and really schmutzed up that puter.

Mr.Ladyfish

Barlow, for a while last night I might have used your hammer if it had been nearby.<br /><br />Yes pjc, it was XP serv. pack 2<br /><br />LD..What is your deal? All lathered up in synthetic and fantasizing?

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> LD..What is your deal? All lathered up in synthetic and fantasizing?
Just a lame attempt at humor, I can barly handle the one I got. :D Hard to fantisize over something youve never seen. From what I see here on the forums, you have your hands full and you are very fortunate to have one like that.

Mr.Ladyfish

LD...Sorry I took your post the wrong way. I haven't been in a very good mood this week and I jumped the gun without thinking. Think I'll take Friday off an go fishing.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

by Mr.Ladyfish<br />
Barlow, for a while last night I might have used your hammer if it had been nearby.
well I can say beyond the shadow of doubt that it does infact relay the message quite well!<br /><br />I'm not too proud of the outburst but, I'm a computer tech. idiot and can only do/know so much. Never had/took the time to learn.<br /><br />Go figure.. have three machines in the office here, use two regularly, then a laptop for when away from the office. I know how to run my software well but to actually "fix" the damn things ...huh! -forget it!<br /><br />Yes, I did take an 8# maul to a Compac around 4yrs ago.<br /><br />After dealing with the POS for 3 days on and off with tech support and software mfgrs with no solution to be had.<br /><br />I took matters into my own hands!<br /><br />-10 minutes to take it to the garage and relay the message of "understanding"<br />-1 hour to run to town and back for a new machine.<br /><br />I figure I saved myself a few grey hairs and a few hundred bucks even when adding the cost of a new tower to the list..<br /><br />.. After all, time is money. ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> I jumped the gun without thinking. Think I'll take Friday off an go fishing.
Ya, Id say so, Im surprised someone else didnt beat me to it. I dont think ya have anything to worry about with Ladyfish. Unless ya dont treat her right of course, and I doubt thats a problem.<br /><br />She probably needs a license plate frame like I bought my wife, it says.<br /><br />"IM NOT SPOILED, IM NOT, IM NOT, IM NOT"!!!

Mr.Ladyfish

Just talked with her. She spent most of the day in the ER with a severe kidney infection. It sucks being here knowing she's sick. I'm sure her dad is babying the hell out of her.

LubeDude

Admiral

Thats not a good thing, we will pray for her.

spratt

Lieutenant

The best thing a person can do is to TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES!!! Bill thinks everyone wants their computer to act/look JUST LIKE HIS...and folks, it just ain't so!!! If you feel like you just have to have his updates, tehn you can click on START/WINDOWS UPDATE and do it all on your won without him!!!<br /><br />And I live almost here in his back yard...so not everyone thinks he is a hero...kinda hard to beat him at his game, but we don't hafta love him, do we???

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Hey, how do you turn off the updates? I'd really like to know that answer. Please!!!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

What OS are you running Bassy?<br />In Windows XP Pro, you click on Start, Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates and check Turn off Automatic Updates.<br /><br />Shouldn't be too far off for Windows XP Home.<br /><br />AK Chappy