the plug......inside or out?

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: the plug......inside or out?

Outside the only way I've ever seem it.<br /><br /> Jim

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whatever is handy, if you leave boat unattended , my preference would beon out side so no rigamaroles can pull it out from the outside.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Actually a lot of small boats with the adjustable rubber plug with the snap lever are inside. I used to have one that way as it was in the water all summer and when we got going I would just pop it out for a few minutes to drain the water.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

If you are regularly trailering the boat, it is easier to have it on the outside as as you don't need to climb into the boat when it is on the trailer to install or remove the plug when putting the boat in or out of the water. I keep a spare plug handy in the boat so that if I forget to put in the plug before launching or should I lose the plug while boating I can just put the plug in from the inside. Saves from getting wet by having to jump in the water to put the plug in. I haven't forgotten to put the plug in yet (come close though), but my dad once forgot to tighten one. OOPS! Of course, it might have just been defective as he claimed. :rolleyes:

KCLOST

Commander

What ever is easiest for you on your rig...

KCLOST

Commander

Oh. I forgot... I like to keep a spare on hand just in case! It is good to be able to install it from the inside in case of an emergency...

one more cast

Captain

Mine are on the inside on both of my boats but like others have said , whetever works for you and your boat.

garzaglass

Seaman

I dont have a choice! I can only put mine on from the outside because some nasa scientist must have thought it wise to glue the transducer right in front of the whole inside the boat! the first time I forgot my plug and had just unloaded my boat I got a nice suprise when I tried to put the plug in from the inside.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mine go in from outside. Found the gas deck plate key is just the tool for tightening the plugs an extra half to full turn past hand tight.<br /><br />BTW those plugs with the "flip lever" are for keeping water in live bait wells, not for keeping the ocean out of your boat. They can and do fall out. Use the T handle plugs and make 'em tight. And clean the plug hole (if brass) with a wad of steel wool to remove any corrosion that can make even new plugs leak.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I do it from the inside on both the 11' whaler and 17-Montauk<br /><br />The inside seems safer to me, and it possable I'd do it from the inside. If your boat takes a wave over the bow i like to be able to pull the plug and gun it to get the water out, can't do that if the plugs on the outside

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Might water pressure ever factor into the decision? Obviously it's pressing from the outside in. Might there be cases where if a plug started to fail the water pressure would keep a plug on the outside in place instead of forcing it out if it was on the inside?<br /><br />Yeah, I know you should make sure it's always in good condition, just curious if putting it on the outside might ever offer a bit of extra protection.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /> I do it from the inside on both the 11' whaler and 17-Montauk<br /><br />The inside seems safer to me, and it possable I'd do it from the inside. If your boat takes a wave over the bow i like to be able to pull the plug and gun it to get the water out, can't do that if the plugs on the outside
Gee! why did i spend my hard earned cash on a bilge pump.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i like to be able to pull the plug and gun it to get the water out,
Wow! My plug's on the inside too - but if I'm running in water where I get greenstuff over the bows, I sure don't have the time to fiddle around behind me to pull a plug! I'm too concerned on juggling the boat to keep head to waves and get speed right!<br /><br />And the deck's self-draining anyway. Thought Montauks were also.