The Ohio Gone Wild Again

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Almost a repeat of September. Expected crest at around 43'...shy 2' of the Sept. flood. Here's a couple shots of some barges that got lose. 12 in all got lose. 4 made it through the dam and hit bridges at Wheeling. 4 got rescued. These are still setting at the dam.<br /><br />
MVC-011F.JPG
<br /><br />
MVC-019F.JPG
<br /><br />
MVC-013F.JPG
<br /><br />
MVC-014F.JPG
<br /><br />In the first picture, that's she herself in the black and gray jacket.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: The Ohio Gone Wild Again

Ouch OBJ, Hate to have that happen, but fun to watch. Things are flooding around here a tad bit. Last nights ice storm took down lots of trees and power lines with it. The Blackfork is about a foot over flood stage right now. Lost power about 10:30 and didn't get it back till abut 1pm today.<br /><br />Well, try to keep yer feet dry! :D <br /><br />Thanks for sharing those pics... :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang SS, keep all that ice up yonder.<br />Was right at 60 all night here.<br />Was out in shorts and t-shirt while on run.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Dang it Spinner, I was watching the weather in your neck of the woods and noticed that you were in for some warm stuff. At least we got lots of ice to keep the beer cold. Need any Ice? If so, maybe I can get mother nature to give you some if she has any left over.... :D :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No thanks man. I have to be out in it every night and I don't need any.<br />70 here come Tueday they say.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Mississippi is on the rise too,3.8ft over flood stage by tomorow eve.That will put it about a foot and a half on the road to our house.Sure hope they drop the focasted #s

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sorry Fixin, there is a whole lot more water headed your way. On my rounds today around the county, just about every creek, stream, and ditch is full of water. <br /><br />Spinner, I'm glad someone is having "Good" weather! :D

aspeck

Staff member

Dang OBJ, should have known you were getting hammered. Just got an email from home, FD asked why I wasn't there when needed - getting ugly and want water rescue ready again. Bit too far of a commute from here, my pager just don't work too well!

gonfishn

Commander

Sciota is suppose to Crest in Chillicothe Friday morning at 27 feet..At this stage it will be two feet above our only bridge..We have a flood wall so we shall see..

TilliamWe

Banned

OBJ, I grew up right outside East Liverpool, and used to stop at the New Cumberland (Stratton) lock and dam any time we drove by on Route 7, and a barge was locking through. That is truly creepy to see that the dam is effectively flooded over. I have never seen that before!<br />Here in Peoria, our dam is a "wicket" dam, so they just lower it when they want to let a lot of water pass. I think our level on the IL is okay now, but it was high a few weeks ago. Bet it goes up some more this week!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Problem is the crest height keeps going up. Now it's up to 45.5' (that's from an original prediction of 42.7'). Not much to do but watch it come. We (the Dept.) done all we can do, gettin' folks out and what not. So, shower and some hot soup, few hours shut eye and see what happens.<br /><br />Hope you folks down south on the river are OK. This is really gettin' tiresome.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Here's a few more:<br /><br />Any port in a storm!<br />
MVC-021F.JPG
<br /><br />Which way is Rayland??<br />
MVC-024F.JPG
<br /><br />The Marina I launch at...well...not today.<br />
MVC-005F.JPG
<br /><br />Still waving!<br />
MVC-026F.JPG

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, Jim that is up there!<br />I have been to the pictured sites!<br />I should have posted a long time ago that I met you last spring at the shop and what a great guy you are.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ya' know bomar...I never posted anything either...why not drop by again and we can both post anew!!... :) I would enjoy that.<br /><br />The pictures really don't show the real.....can't think of a word....."magnitude" (that works) of this flood....just darn near the same as in September. Two major floods inside of 5 Months....wellll....being the optimist...maybe this means a spectacular summer!!