The Nightmare Continues

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice
some time ago i read a post about a cobra jumping out of gear, at speed. one of the responders said he "turned the gears around" does anyone remember any details. at the time i didnt pay too much attention because my cobra was not jumping out of gear like it is NOW. its a 3 liter by the way. i have revisited all the posts from the last 100 days and cant find the original. i would appriciate any info on this. thanx

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: The Nightmare Continues

He prolly turned the gears in the outdrive around, so the wear pattern would be on a different side. <br /><br />Sounds like the CV trick on fwd cars.<br /><br />-- Joe

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

so your saying the fwd and reverse gears are interchangable?

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

This is my no 1 one ***** here. People give bad information and someone else pays for it. When you need good information you have to wade thru the coach arm techs. Someone who has never turned a wrench befor. There is a difference bewteen a discussion and looking for help(the correct answers). You need to install a new gear set and clutch dog there is a new design gear set. You need to make sure the shift cable is working correctly.Turning the clutch dog around is for back yard guys and doesn't work (Misinformation) There is plenty of that here. I think you should be able to bill someone if they send you under the bus on a repair. Like telling someone to pull the oil pan when the problem is a bad oil pressure sender.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Here, here.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

as usual, good sound advice, thanks. can anybody point me towards a gear set and clutch dog, and what other components are likly to be needed for the reassembly

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

New style gear set with 5 degree cut on clutch dog and gear set,clutch dog, seal kit and outdrive gasket set, new pinion nut, gear lube and maybe a new style shift cable. I would not use any aftermarket parts on this job. Use all oem parts only. This is an easy job too make sure you make all your shift cable adjustment in the water and you achieve full forward and full reverse engaugement and that neutral is in the middle of the shift stroke.

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by mickey1:<br /> so your saying the fwd and reverse gears are interchangable?
No, i'm saying thats prolly what he meant. <br /><br />Would that work? I dunno, I havn't ever tried it. <br /><br />I havn't done a whole lot of work in the outdrive. I have however, learned not to listen to boat mechanics at the dealer. ...And that the "seloc" manual is absoultely useless. <br /><br />-- Joe

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by vinney:<br /> Use all oem parts only.
Interesting. From a guy coming from the automotive racing world (Ihra, nhra - ya know, the fast stuff), thats taboo.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The gears don't interchange(forward/reverse). The aftermarket parts(gear sets) are made in China. They are junk. As for Racing if the stuff is made in the good'ole USA them um in. I don't think Kieth Black has moved to Mexico or China. USA.

mickey1

Seaman Apprentice

since yesterday i have done some research on this and i have decided to try to replace the gearset myself. it does not look easy according to my clymer manual. worst case, i put all the pieces in a box and take it to my outdrive guy. im still looking for a supplier, any help there would be appreiceated,ill repost with the results.