The new TURBO TXP

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just when i've decided to go with the Turbo1 14x21, my prop dealer says there's a new prop available, the Turbo TXP. He says it has higher rake and can handle higher heights and trim angles.<br />You can look at My boat here.<br />Some boat specs:<br />Make: Yamarin<br />Model: 6100<br />Length: 20feet<br />Weight: 2400 lbs, 2800lbs with engine.<br />Style: Daycruiser<br /><br />I really need some advices here; is the TXP suited for my boat or should I stick with the Turbo 1?<br />Pros, cons?<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Mattias

Ron G

Commander
Re: The new TURBO TXP

I thought the txp was a high performace prop for high speed boats,with high motor setups.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The TXP was made for boats that already had a lot of lift built in. It's aimed at boats that have a pad & a step and boats with air entrapment hulls. The 14 3/4" diameter allows for some very high X dimensions. Same thing for the Lightning. <br /><br />Thats not to say it wont work on your boat but you need to get the motor up. Quite a bit. I cant really tell for sure if you have a jackplate or not. Your boat may even have a pad. <br /><br />Just a general kinda rule we go by -- if you dont have a jackplate and dont plan on getting one, dont spend money on prop technology you arent going to use.<br /><br />Tell us more about your hull design.

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Except from the one above, i have only this picture <br /><br />The hull is v-shaped at the stern and has an angle of appr. 152degrees. Hopefully you can figure out something from this limited info. It lies very high in the water in plane, looks like it's barely touching the water.<br /><br />Thanks for your replies and points, Dhadley and Ron G. Would be nice to hear Mr. Walleyehed's opinions on this one too.<br /><br />/Mattias

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome back, Mattias.<br /><br />More info on the boat to be found on this page:<br /><br /> http://www.yamarin.com/index.cfm?main_frame=http://www.yamarin.com/users/9/1219.cfm <br /><br />A quite seaworthy boat with a moderately deep V of approx. 20 degrees aft, sharper up front, and which will supposedly do almost 50 knots with a 200 hp engine. 610 cm length, 248 cm width, dry weight of 1080 kg.<br /><br />Essentially the same hull can be seen in action here:<br /><br /> http://www.yamarin.com/static/img/62wa.wmv <br /><br />and here:<br /><br /> http://www.yamarin.com/static/img/6210.wmv <br /><br />No pad, probably no jackplate, no air entrapment hull, just an ordinary decent V-hull.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome back to you too there Stevens. I was just wondering where you disappeared to yesterday . . . :)

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, yeah, just couldn't quite stay away from here... :rolleyes: <br /><br />I look forward to hearing what Walleyehed has to say on this one. TXP, Turbo 1 or maybe even an Enertia?

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Stevens, it's been awhile :) <br />
I look forward to hearing what Walleyehed has to say on this one
I agree. With more information given about the hull, maybe Dhadley too has something more to input :) I asked the prop dealer about his opinion, wheather to go with turbo1 or TXP but he hasn't replied yet. I will let you know when does.<br /><br />/Mattias

walleyehed

Admiral

I think very few know how the TXP responds on any given hull...<br />I do know for a fact it is best suited to those hulls that, as Dhadley already stated, have lifting features built-in to the hull. <br />The TXP is a moderate over-all lifter-not a bow-lifter-and performs best on a hull that runs somewhat flat or slightly bow-high without additional trim.<br />On my V-bottom it is a fast prop....very fast, but I also have a jackplate and I'm running the TXP as high as my HULL will allow.<br />If I had a pad-bottom, I think it would be better suited to that.

realmasa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess the only way to know for sure, is to try both turbo1 and TXP. Since my boat is not common outside the nordic region. Also, the "bass boat" concept is something that isn't used here where i live, can someone tell me the differences between a bass boat and e.g. my day cruiser, and why certain props are suited for bass boats(as TXP) and not for other boats? Is my boat too heavy (2800lbs with engine) at the stern to make use of the high rake of the TXP? :confused: <br /><br />Does higher rake alter the boats behaviour other than lift??<br /><br />Thanks guys,<br />Mattias