The Military

Drowned Rat

Captain
The average age of someone enlisting in the military is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's; but he has never collected unemployment either. <br />
f9067ba9.jpg
<br />He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, <br />pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has <br />a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to <br />be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and <br />roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm howitzzor. He is 10 or <br />15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working <br />or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk. <br /><br />He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field <br />strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can <br />recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and <br />use either one effectively if he must. He digs foxholes and latrines and can <br />apply first aid like a professional. He can march until he is told to stop or <br />stop until he is told to march. <br />
f9067b92.jpg
<br />He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without <br />spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of <br />fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens <br />full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but <br />never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own <br />clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you're thirsty, he'll share his water <br />with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition <br />with you in the midst of battle when you run low. <br /><br />He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like <br />they were his hands. He can save your life - or take it, because that <br />is his job. He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the <br />pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering <br />and death than he should have in his short lifetime. <br />
f9067b81.jpg
<br />He has stood atop mountains of dead bodies, and helped to create them. <br />He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat <br />and is unashamed. He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate <br />through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning <br />desire to 'square-away' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, <br />remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, <br />far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful. <br /><br />Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying <br />the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the <br />American Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 200 years. <br />
f9067b85.jpg
<br />He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding. <br />Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration <br />with his blood. And now we even have woman over there in danger, <br />doing their part in this tradition of going to War when our nation calls <br />us to do so. As you go to bed tonight, remember this shot.. A short lull, <br />a little shade and a picture of loved ones in their helmets. <br />
f9067b9e.jpg

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: The Military

Excellent post Drowned Rat. Excellent. :)

ndemge

Commander

you need to edit this post to take out the links to the pictures in your email. it pops up asking for a password

Drowned Rat

Captain

I am sorry, ndemge. My computer literacy is on par with most 2nd and 3rd graders. I will try to edit the post. :)

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spoken like a true liberal. President Bush, my Commander in Chief, is a true proponent of the military. Unfortunately he has to handle a war that was brought to us courtesy of 8 years of liberal drivel, cowardice, and thinking like the above post. Apparently he has been watching CNN too much. <br /><br />I am one of those soldiers who has been there and know what a true patriot our President is. When you say get rid of our Commander are your truly supporting us? I would like for you to go over there and say that and see how long you last. Oops, sorry sir I didnt think it was loaded... You ought to thank god you have a leader like this man. Here is a leader who takes a stand, presents moral clarity to the people, and oh by the way isnt involved in one scandal after another. Unfortunatley the biased media refuse to present this picture both here and in Iraq. For every bad thing (which is all that is reported) there are 100 good things going on over there.<br /><br />It is people like you and your liberal hypocritical stances on real world issues that are driving this country into moral depravity. Hypocritical postitons like voting for abortion and then going to church or voting for Lacey's law; telling the American people your are for a strong defense but cut the military in half and slash the sustainment funding needed to keep the other half effectively running; Promoting smut and crap music ( the "c" in rap is silent) as free speech, squalling about the enviroment being polluted while going to your numerous self-congratulatory awards ceremonies in your private jets and SUV's; Constantly whining about the way things are going, saying your plan is better, but really having no plan except to bash whatever plan is making progress under a conservative Republican administration; claiming to be a unifiying organization while at the same time insitgation class warfare with your ridiculous and baseless (and supported by the media with no research whatsoever) charges of "the Republicans are the party of the rich and big oil and corporate greed" - if you check your facts most of these wealthy moguls and stars are liberals who take the same stand as you - I hate Bush. furthermore most of these corporate scandals took root during Slick Willy's reign of shame. When immoral behavor in the Oval Office and lying became art forms and "personal matters." <br /><br />Please dont give me the 60's era civic duty peacenik BS about its my constitutional right to challenge the president - even when the only basis of your arguement is what you have heard third hand or on CNN, or the three branches of government: ABC, NBC, and CBS. <br /><br />When these troops you say support see such stuff as this - and believe me they do, they become confused. A confused soldier is not focused and is apt to be killed or injured. You are dealing with 19 year old kids here. <br /><br />Get rid of Bush......the other option.....god forbid......another Mass liberal out of the same cloth as TED (Ten Evening Drinks) Kennedy (he along with Robert KKK Byrd are "poster children" for why term limits are a must in congress). A man who cannot seem to take a stand on anything but what his audience at the moment is for; a man who wants to turn over decisions on our national security to the corrupted UN; a man who is an avid supporter of the most corrupt and inept individual to hold presedential office - by the way a monument to voter apathy and ignorance of fact; a man who voted to cut every major defense appropiation program in recent history which has led to many equipment and supply problems over there - I dealt with them first hand so I know what I am talking about; and finally, a man who wrote some of his own medal recommendations in Vietnam (no offense to our Vietnam Vets our there - and you guys did a hell of a job and our political leadership failed you - something this president will not do). So you see it is the same old stuff - whiny liberals trying to unseat a successful leader (aided and abetted by their partners in slime - the media) with one lame and baseless accusation after another, attempting to discredit our Commander. The more things do not work the more shrill and desperate they get. It is so childish it is funny except a large chunk of Americans actually believe crap like this - which is the only thing barely keeping democrats in office these days (pretty sad isnt it - ignorance is power).<br /><br />Moderators, I hope this reply isnt too offensive but I, as a soldier and leader of soliders, will not stand by and let s--t like this ride without a response. You are not supporting my troops by stating get rid of their Commander.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You certainly covered all of the bases, Deerdog. ;) <br /><br />Amongst all else that the Liberals expouse, "I support our troops" is the biggest charade.

Link

Rear Admiral

WOW two great posts in one.<br />First Drowned Rat: <br />No-one should have had anything but one liners.. sorry to see a cheap shot.<br /><br />Excellent & Perfect comes to mind<br /><br />Deerdog <br />Sorry you had to jump in, but glad you did.<br /><br />Excellent & Perfect comes to mind also<br /><br />SFC Link :) <br />Active duty Army 71-85<br />Navy Reserves 88-91 :rolleyes: What was I thinking :) ok I like boats

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drowned Rat: Excellent post.<br />Deer Dog: Thank You<br /><br />Nothing ticks me off more than to sit and listen to someone complain about Pres. Bush and the war. Whether or not everyone agrees we should be there or not they damn well should support each and every soldier risking their lives day in and day out so someone can sit at home in their lazyboy and complain and and moan about how if they ran the country they would do it different.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Saw nothing wrong with that post "Deerdog!!!"<br />Covered all the bases!!!<br />"Excellent Post!!!" ;) :cool:

Stratosfied

Ensign

Both excellent and DeerDog--I couldn't have said it better!! Liberals and the Media make me want to puke!