The Midwest is NOT Monotonous

dogsdad

Lieutenant
My wife and I are on vacation, having travelled from the DFW area to Cincinatti and northern Indiana. I have spent plenty of time in the Nashville, Tennessee area, but had never been through Kentucky or to Cincinatti.<br /><br />We came up I-65 and went through Kentucky to Louisville, and I hafta say that the country was not as I had imagined it. It was hilly---even mountainous---and not the vast expanse of horse pastures that I expected. The fall colors are out right now, and we were wowed by the beauty.<br /><br />We skirted Louisville and took I-71 (I think) to Cincinatti. It was dark just as we approached the Ohio River. That particular route does not reveal the city of Cincinatti gradually, it is dramatic and sudden! We came around a curve in the road, and there before us was the city of Cincinatti, all lit up and pretty as a postcard! From that vantage point it was truly one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. Wow!<br /><br />So, hats off to a gorgeous part of the USA. To anyone who has never been through that part of the country, I hartily encourage you to see it, like we did, at this time of the year and on the route we took. You won't be disappointed!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: The Midwest is NOT Monotonous

DD, you should have came up into the Lexington area and got over by Keeneland and you would have seen the beautiful horse farms that Kentucky is known for.<br /><br />I would never think about living anywhere else.<br /><br />No hard winters like other places and don't get real hot like other places.<br /><br />No hurricanes, volcanoes and very few tornadoes.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

My wife and I made that drive through Louisville several years ago, and on into Ohio. It is pretty.

aspeck

Staff member

Spinner, you are right about Keeneland - with the white fences - it is absolutely gorgeous! My bro lives in Lexington and is a Prof at UK. It is always a nice trip to visit him - any time of the year.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I am sitting here in down town cincinnati right now in my office. I know what you mean.<br /><br />However, I have to admit that the fall colors are much better in Northern Michigan where my wife is from.<br /><br />But thank you for the observation. You should see it in the summer while crusing the Ohio river. :)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Horse farms?!? Do you grow horses on horse farms??<br /><br />I thought they were called ranches? :p

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

horse ranch?<br />i've never heard of a horse ranch. what do you think they are? cattle? ;)

KennyKenCan

Commander

I just drove thru that part of the country resently on my way to Texas, and I'd have to agree, it is a beautiful part of this grand land of ours.

KaGee

Admiral

The flatlands are to the west of us.... it does get monotonous there.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not untill you cross the mighty mo tho!<br />nebraska state tree... utility pole :p