The Hideout Thanksgiving Tree

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This tree and it's daughters provide goodies for Hideout wildlife through Christmas. Deer, coyotes and racoons are regulars.<br /><br />
watermark.php

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The Hideout Thanksgiving Tree

JB, what kind of tree is that?

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

is that a crab apple tree JB

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Japanese Persimmons I beleive. They are extremely bitter till the first freeze. After that there is nothing beter.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

JB, how can you "Hideout" in plain sight. Man, that is some wide open territory you got there. Isn't that the Alamo I see off in the distance? :D

JB

Those are native persimmons. Unusually large because of the open space and no competition for sun or water.<br /><br />Like the Japanese persimmons they are astringent until fully ripe, but contrary to popular belief they do not require a freeze to ripen. It's just that in most of their range there is usually a hard frost before they ripen. Coincidence of timing.<br /><br />Neumanns: Are those the Ontario or MN regs? Four a day sounds good to me. :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

JB...On a side note I read they passed the special regs on LOTW last week. New daily limit is four walleyes. Three must be under 19.5 inches The fourth can be under 19.5 or over 28". DNR claimes they had over 60% support for the regs.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Wow JB, those really are natives? Ours are always small, not much bigger than pecans. I never knew that about the freeze not being correct, thanks for the info.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Minnesota...Limit was six and no slot I believe. If there was a slot it was more liberal.

JB

Awwww. :( <br /><br />I only fish in Ontario. Was 2 and 2 in '04 (2 a day, plus 2 more in possession)

Carphunter

Commander

Hey JB, I'm sure I could fit my treestand in that tree and help ya thin out the Whitetail population. :p

NYMINUTE

Captain

Keep the population thin, the collision shops are drooling.