The final inspection- Soldier going home

Kenneth Brown

Captain
THE FINAL INSPECTION <br /><br />The soldier stood and faced God, <br />Which must always come to pass. <br />He hoped his shoes were shining, <br />Just as brightly as his brass. <br /><br />"Step forward now, you soldier, <br />How shall I deal with you? <br />Have you always turned the other cheek? <br /><br />To My Church have you been true?" <br /><br />The soldier squared his shoulders and said, <br />"No, Lord, I guess I ain't. <br />Because those of us who carry guns, <br />Can't always be a saint. <br /><br />I've had to work most Sundays, <br />And at times my talk was tough. <br />And sometimes I've been violent, <br />Because the world is awfully rough. <br /><br />But, I never took a penny, <br />That wasn't mine to keep... <br />Though I worked a lot of overtime, <br />When the bills got just too steep. <br /><br />And I never passed a cry for help, <br />Though at times I shook with fear. <br />And sometimes, God, forgive me, <br />I've wept unmanly tears. <br /><br />I know I don't deserve a place, <br />Among the people here. <br />They never wanted me around, <br />Except to calm their fears. <br /><br />If you've a place for me here, Lord, <br />It needn't be so grand. <br />I never expected or had too much, <br />But if you don't, I'll understand." <br /><br />There was a silence all around the throne, <br />Where the saints had often trod. <br />As the soldier waited quietly, <br />For the judgment of his God. <br /><br />"Step forward now, you soldier, <br />You've borne your burdens well. <br />Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, <br />You've done your time in Hell."

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The final inspection- Soldier going home

Very good!!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: The final inspection- Soldier going home

I just wish (futilely) that my application to Heaven would look that good! :(