The engine smokes a lot

cacervera

Cadet
I have a 354 mercury its an I/O. <br />Everything works normal exept the water temp. gage and when the engine runs for more than 5 min. It starts to smoke, and smoke smells like burning rubber.<br />What could it be?? water pump or impeller? or something else maybe? Please help!<br />Thank you!<br />God bless

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The engine smokes a lot

Are you running water to the engine ?<br />Is the boat in or out of the water ?<br />What is the temp on the gauge say ?<br />Is the smoke/rubber smell coming from the engine or out the exhaust?<br />If you are running water to it and your on land, are the exhaust manifolds getting hot?<br />Is there water coming out the exhaust? If the smell is from the exhaust and your not pumping any water( due to pump failure or otherwise) the smell is probbly your exhaust hoses burning.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what you find.

cacervera

Cadet

Right now the boat is in the storage, but it doesnt really matter if the boat is in or out of the water the problem manifests exactly the same way if the boat is in or out of the water.<br />The temp. gage goes all the way up, and smokes comes from the engine itself not from exhaust.<br />And not only the exhaust manifolds get hot, but every single thing on the engine boils you can even feel the hotness of the engine if you get close to it, this is why I just run it for a short period of time.<br />Thank you for your reply!!

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Is the impeller working at all? If she gets that hot, don't run it at all until the water flow can be verified to the engine or heat exchanger. Then repair or replace the temp gauge so you can keep an eye on the motor's vitals. The smoke and smell tell you somethings cooking, probably the exhaust bellows/flappers. I'll bet they're toast. :eek:

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bottom line, is it pumping water? Can you visibly see water coming from the outdrive? If its not, impeller is first thing to check.

cacervera

Cadet

Hi you all, thank you for your reply´s, I have one more question to ask you, if is the impeller or water pump, where are those located??<br />Thank you very much!!<br />God Bless

Fouled Plug

Ensign

The impeller draws water from outside the boat, and it is located in the lower unit of the outdrive. The engine also has a water circulating pump that is on the front of the engine and is belt driven. What make/model is your motor again? I'm not familiar with a 354. Determine exactly what you have, buy a manual, and keep tuning in here for tips and advice. Good luck!

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Could you have a 454 or 350 and not a 354 ? Also you havn't said what type of drive you have I,R,MR, Alpha or Bravo or even TR.<br />IF you have a Bravo or TR drive the w/p is located on the front of the engine and is driven by a belt off the crank.<br />If you have a Alpha(I,R,MR) drive the pump is located between the upper and lower parts of the drive so the drive must come of to service it.<br />There is one more thing does the engine have closed cooling , because in some cases with a Alpha drive a belt driven w/p is installed on the engine to provide extra water flow.<br />Let us know what you find.