The Endurance

eeboater

Commander
I just finished reading a book last night that IMO was incredible. It was a story about Ernest Shackleton who set out to be the first person to cross Antartica on foot. Unfortunately, the trip went seriously wrong. Shackleton and his crew spent almost 2 years stranded at sea in the Antartic circle. <br /><br />Its an amazing story of survival. The most incredible part of it all is that it all occured in 1914 before the specialized polar equipment was designed. <br /><br />If you want an overview of the story click here:<br /> http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/endurance/ <br /><br />If you want to actually READ the story (which is MUCH BETTER) click here:<br /><br /> Endurance by Alfred Lansing<br /><br />Anyone else read this book? Unbelievable.<br /><br />Sean<br /><br /><br />
029782919X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: The Endurance

I've been wanting to read this book as I have heard it is excellent. Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading the overview. This will be the next book I read.

Xcusme

Commander

Yup, There was a History channel episode about this a few weeks back....

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree, it's an amazing story. The book is great and it's simply amazing that they all survived. Talk about some great navigation too! The short documentary is available on DVD too...but the book is a must read for anyone into adventure.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

An alternate book is: <br /><br />"The ENDURANCE, Shackletjon's Legendary Antarctic Expedition" by Caroline Alexander. ISBN 0-375-40403-1<br /><br />This one contains many astonishing previously unpublished photographs by expedition photographer Frank Hurley.<br /><br />As Sean tells us, it is non-fiction adventure of the first order.<br /><br />Alexander's book is a fine companion to the Alfred Lansing book.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks eeboater and JB; I have seen the PBS story on Him a couple of times - awesome! I will get these two books to read: if the PBS story is close to true, what a great leader! The kinda of man I would enjoy being around or with on an adventure.

Link

Rear Admiral

I have also seen the PBS special a couple times and as ZooMbr said awesome.<br />However the books are almost always a lot better.<br /><br />Example: Movie, "The Hunt for Red October"<br />I had read the book a couple times before seeing the movie. <br />The Movie is LAME compared to the book!<br />We walked out of the movie wondering how anyone could enjoy it with all the gaps in the script not even addressed.<br />Thanks for the heads up on both books.

eeboater

Commander

I will admit that the beginning of the book did start a bit slow. In fact, I've owned the book for close to 2 years now, and this is the first time (after 3 tries) I've completed it. Stick with it. The beginning is about the preparation for the trip which IMHO is a fraction of how interesting the actual adventure was.<br /><br />To anyone who reads it... enjoy! For more of a thrill... keep the thought that this is a true story, written from the journals of the men who experienced it.<br /><br />THESE are the men the youth of the world need to look up to... not the Kobe Bryant's of the world.<br /><br /><br />Sean

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> An alternate book is: <br /><br />"The ENDURANCE, Shackletjon's Legendary Antarctic Expedition" by Caroline Alexander. ISBN 0-375-40403-1<br /><br />This one contains many astonishing previously unpublished photographs by expedition photographer Frank Hurley.<br /><br />As Sean tells us, it is non-fiction adventure of the first order.<br /><br />Alexander's book is a fine companion to the Alfred Lansing book.
I always wondered why "Endurance" didn't have many photographs. The photographer was always being talked about, in the book.<br /><br />Endurance was such a compelling story, it was the only book that I read, then immediatley re-read from cover to cover. It just seemed impossible that any of them made it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of the photographs are the property of the Royal Geographic Society, who financed the expedition.<br /><br />This is the first time they have allowed publication. The clarity of the B&W shots is remarkable.