The "Dumbest" City in America?

KaGee

Admiral
Is Fort Wayne, Ind., 1 beer short of six-pack? <br />
<br />Craig Wilson<br />USA Today<br />Jan. 20, 2005 12:00 AM <br /><br />FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Landing at Fort Wayne International Airport, you don't sense anything is amiss. In fact, it's all quite pleasant.<br /><br />Grandmotherly types hand out sugar cookies to arriving visitors. The Avis clerk is downright friendly and efficient. And driving into town, you pass golf courses and garden apartments, high schools and one of the locals' favorites, the Oyster Bar.<br /><br />But once you arrive downtown, you start looking at the natives with a keener eye. Are they really as dumb as people say? Hard to tell, although the hockey team is called the Komets. Yes, with a K. advertisement <br /> <br /> <br /><br /><br />This heartland city of 255,000 has been dubbed the dumbest town in all the land by Men's Health magazine. It came in dead last, losing out at the bottom of the heap to the likes of Laredo, Texas.<br /><br />The survey is the talk of the town or at least among those who read, and there appear to be thousands. <br /><br />A front-page column in the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel last week came with the bold, all-caps headline: SO THEY SAY WE'RE NOT THE BRIGHTEST BULB IN THE BOX ... WHAT DO THEY KNOW?<br /><br />Columnist Kevin Leininger suggested their "F" was basically "an evil liberal media conspiracy." He threw out the fact that 8 of the 10 smartest cities were in blue states, and eight of the dumbest were in red states. He doesn't think it's a coincidence that "a certain amount of cultural elitism was at work here."

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: The "Dumbest" City in America?

Evidently Craig or Kevin didn't like the sugar cookies.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We got plenty of Morons here on the freeways in Houston, why didnt we win?<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Hey....I live here, but I was transplanted, Honestly. It is the dumbest city. #1 selling book here last week was Amber Frye's Witness. Are you joking? These jimbronies will read that trash. How many cities in the US can have repeated floods in the same area after spending millions to build levies. The mayor is a dwarf. looks like Howdy Dootie. I swear there a strings attached to his arms and legs and someone moves them. His I.Q. is the same as the current temp. 9. The population is 225,000. 175,000 annexed in over the last 12 years from suburban townships. <br />Heck the main Interstates are 69, and 469. and the blue hairs complain that video stores sell XXX rated in a back room? (Why'd you go back there?) BTW this isn't really a Fort, it just resembles one after a siege. The local paper rated the Mens Magazine the worst monthly publication yesterday. Now there is a plus for stupid. Best known people from here are Rod Woodson, Shelly Long, and Dave Thomas (Wendy's)<br />Fort Wayne...gateway to Ohio.<br /> :D :D :D :D

Carphunter

Commander

Well hmmmmmmm, we have a transplanted "easterner" telling us all these folks are dumb in the state where he resides. :confused: <br />Well, this "dumb" hoosier has a question for ya...............Why the heck did ya move here?<br /><br />Its only a short plane ride back to the east coast. Right. :cool: <br /><br />I have visited nearly every state in this great country, and I will tell you one thing. I have never met nicer, more down to earth people then I have met in Indiana. <br /><br />.......and I have never met more unfriendly, unpleasant people then I have met on the east coast. Doesn't mean I think all people from that area are that way, just the few I have met.<br /><br />I have heard so many people here complain about where they live, I guess "dumb" 'ol Carpy just don't understand why these folks just don't move somewhere else.<br /><br />......of course I am purty "dumb".................but at least I am purty. ;)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

that's what they want you to think...<br /><br />dumb as a fox, or smart as a carp! :p

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Well hmmmmmmm, we have a transplanted "easterner" telling us all these folks are dumb in the state where he resides. :confused: <br />Well, this "dumb" hoosier has a question for ya...............Why the heck did ya move here?<br /><br />Its only a short plane ride back to the east coast. Right. :cool: <br /><br />I have visited nearly every state in this great country, and I will tell you one thing. I have never met nicer, more down to earth people then I have met in Indiana. <br /><br />.......and I have never met more unfriendly, unpleasant people then I have met on the east coast. Doesn't mean I think all people from that area are that way, just the few I have met.<br /><br />I have heard so many people here complain about where they live, I guess "dumb" 'ol Carpy just don't understand why these folks just don't move somewhere else.<br /><br />......of course I am purty "dumb".................but at least I am purty. ;)
Read the post again, It specifically said Fort Wayne. Based on the fact it has 225,000 people, I would be correct in assuming it DID NOT include the entire state. I moved here as a result of a transfer. Move or go on UEI. Buffalo, NY is certainly no utopia either, especially if you are unemployed. Indianapolis is one of the cleanest, and under rated cities I have ever seen. Worth every cent to drive 120 miles to. South Bend-Mishawaka are equally as impressive, yet smaller. I have never seen much more of this state so I can't knock or promote it. Finally, as for moving somewhere else? That will happen in 2011 (retirement) It won't be Floriduh, or New York. So please carphunter, read the post again. Unless you have emotional ties to a city where you don't live, chill a bit. :)

Carphunter

Commander

NYMINUTE said:<br />"Chill a bit"
:D , I'm always "chilled" there buddy.<br /><br />Hard to convey emotion on an internet forum, but i'm far from mad or upset, just making a comment. I haven't posted here recently, so your probably not used to responding to my comments. ;) <br /><br />I would love to read your post again, but i'm so dumb I keep getting stuck on the second word. :p <br /><br />.....on a side note, I do have a question for ya NYM. I have clicked on every seperate thread on the first page here on DC chat, and I have noticed that there is not one thread that you have not made a comment on. Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living that allows you to browse this area so often? Not trying to be a smart-azz, just curious.<br /><br />.....anyway, sorry you live in such a "dumb" portion of the state. Hopefully, more "easterners" will move to Fort Wayne to bring the collective IQ up to acceptable levels. :D

Carphunter

Commander

Alright Mellow, don't make fun of them there Carp!<br /><br />....we all know your a "closet" Carp lover. ;) <br /><br />Could be worse, you could have a gerbil farm. :p