the death of johnson outboards :(

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: the death of johnson outboards :(

Mercury discontined the Mariner line too, a few years ago, at least here in the US. And of course Force ended with the 20th century. No more Nissans for quite awhile now, they're Tohatsu. So I suppose if you want to buy a Suzuki after Johnson goes, it'll actually have to say Suzuki on the hood.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

what ever happen to the good old days when you could just go out and buy a nice fast long lasting carburated 2 stroke and sooo easy to fix.they dont make em like they use to.,

JRJ

Commander

I love my Johnson, but it was built by Suzuki.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Nissan's are still being marketed and sold across the U.S. and will be for at least the next year or two or three.

The article from the link states E-Tec portables coming soon. Last 2 boat shows I tried my best to pry release date & details from Evinrude rep with no success. Said hang in there, thats about all I can tell you. Well, I couldn't since my Honda just croaked & was a paycheck away from a Tohatsu when a used Yamaha 2-stroke came along & saved the day for me. A direct injected 2-stroke portable sounds awesome, but I wonder what they will cost? Likely the Tohatsu will still be quite a bit cheaper under 10hp. As for staying on topic with the Johnson name going bye-bye, they can still be had used. I have fond memories of a 1983 35hp I bought new at that time & was a great motor. The boat it was on caught on fire while being trailered on the fwy to the water & burned to the ground & caused a traffic Sig-Alert.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Scuttlebut in the industry says 1 to 2 years for a Eeeeek 20 to 30 DFI with a price tag in the $4000 to $4500 range. Below 20 is not feasable due to the cost of DFI. Technically it could be done tomorrow. But who in their right mind is going to pay an extra grand for a 10 hp with DFI?