the current in the narrows & what to do

riptide116

Seaman
Hello<br /><br />I am searching for some info on a very hazardous area and would like some input on dealing with currents.<br /><br />I hope that some of the readers that are on IBOATS could help especaly if you are familar with the location....<br /><br />Pt.Defiance & Clay banks <br />Narrows channel<br />Southern Puget sound<br />Tacoma,Washington<br /><br />I have been spooked from this area and I would like to overcome my fear of the riptide and current in this particular area..<br /><br />Why am I afraid of this area you ask ?<br />Lemme tell you a story...<br /><br />last year-2003-,new to boating,tried to run thru the rip tide right off the clay banks,north of narrows channel,outgoing tide,ws planning to so a trip south of narrows channel to Fox Island..<br />well anyway halfway thru this nasty soup,I run outta nerve and turn about,well while navagating this swirling water and finding the correct speed for safe manuvering,a backswell rolled up from behind and literaly lifted the motor right off the top of the transom,ripping the outside plate off the transom,top cap of transom was a twisted chunck of sharp metal that was now useless and I had a death grip of motor when it wanted to go to davey's locker,<br />well the impact of my body on the innser side of the boat cuz getting pulled by motor broke 2 ribs on right side of my body and that chunk of metal from trasom was real sharp and I bled good...<br /><br />ok I lift motor back where it's suppose to go,tighten dogs (motor mount things),start motor,put into gear,twist grip for gas and I repeat the whole thing again 4 or 5 times(motor wants go fall off boat each time I put it in gear),my buddy is hanging on for dear life while trying to put on PFD (I wear mine ALL the time now)<br /><br />ok I figured out that motor will not stay put,so I am hanging over the spash area,bear hugging this motor,buddy is telling me where to steer,4-6 ft swells (I honesty dont remember that part) we pull over in this small cove thats right on the clay banks with a sandy bottom,well we pull over,shore the boat,change our underwear and shiver from the near miss...<br />we do repairs on boat,wait out the rip tide,limp home to ramp.<br /><br />since then,I have learned more about my boat,how to drive it,what to do,what not to do...tie down motor,make transom more secure.. ect.......<br />but I am still afraid of that channel - or as I call it- "The Gauntlet".<br /><br />Yes I can wait until slack tide and make the run,but I would get stuck at other end untill next slack tide to make my return run to boathouse..boathouse staff go home at sundown & my boat is not comforable to spend the night in..(see previous post for shore-ing boat)<br /><br />I have not been anywhere near that area or channel since last year and there is many fishing spots and areas to cruze around on the south side of that channel that have much calmer waters..<br /><br />I would appreciate any and all imput from all boaters pertaining to this particular conditon & if you are familar to this area I would be very interested in how to deal with this..<br /><br />Side note:<br />boat:14.8 ft Uniflight<br />motor at the time:15Hp Evinrude less than 50 lbs.<br />time it took to go to hospital to disclver broken ribs:21 days....<br /><br />my buddy finaly went out this summer,he agrees that the transom is beefed out and motor will stay there.<br /><br />I have reviewd books and videos of this particular subject/senario and have found limited info,I want to improve my boating skills in safe operations of my boat,powersquadron is a option.<br /><br />Thanks

18rabbit

Captain
Re: the current in the narrows & what to do

The Power Squadron is NOT an option … it is an absolute MUST!!!<br /><br />This is the only time I have ever recommend the Squadron over the USCG Aux boating class because the Squadron is also an ongoing boating club with activities in your location that will help build your boating skills. I strongly urge you to take the Power Squadron boater class, after you pass you can join the Squadron, participate in their activities, and take the advanced Squadron classes. That should keep you busy…and safe, for a few years and you’ll have fun doing it. :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I agree with 18R that classes of any kind will help you become safer on the water. From your description you had no business being where you were in the boat you were in in those conditions. <br /><br />What bothers me about your post is when you said "I have been spooked from this area and I would like to overcome my fear of the riptide and current in this particular area.." This painted the p[icture to me that you were hoping for some advice and that you planned on going back to the same place in the same boat to overcome this fear. There is nothing wrong with being "spooked" by rip tide & current. That is called being safe in my mind. Safe boating is not an ego or macho thing. A 14' boat has no business in 4-6' swells. PERIOD. It just plain ain't safe.

riptide116

Seaman

Yes,rodger on the powersquad classes,my other(smarter) half agrees on the class allso.<br /><br />as for boating in the same area,<br />the Pt.Defiance boathouse & marina is 1.8 nm from the claybanks and the northern entrance for the channel,the boathouse is due east of the claybank,PRIME SALMON ZONE,thas why I am over there,othewise its the mouth of the puallup river,but on the other side of gauntlet(channel),there is much to explore and fish, nowhere near the recent oil spill that happend a few weeks ago on south side of vashon island,besides much more senic and quiet.<br /><br />being out in that soup,well I learned my lesson the hard way and dont ever wanna do that stupid stuff ever again.<br /><br />when I restored my boat I assumed the transom was good,well I am certain of that after my incident.<br /><br />Put the fear of god in me when that happend !!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If you do take the power Squadrons class make sure you get the long class (13 weeks). I taken the class 3 times and also the Coast Guard classes. The new short class that both are giving are better than nothing but not much help for what your are talking about. Classes last year when I checked were all the short class. I ask why and both said most people only sign up to get the insurance discount and will not sign up for the longer better class. Your only hope would be asking the instructors or some other experienced boater in the class.<br /><br />I do not know your area but do know San Francisco where we get strong EBB tides with 30 knot incomeing winds and Swells of 5 to 9 feet almost every afternoon in the summer. If you get in a shallow water area in these conditions you have very danergous condition.<br /><br />I also have a 14 foot Klamath Aluminum boat with a 15 HP Johnson. I also have a 21 foot boat with a I/O. The motor should not come off the transom due to any current. If you have to add a motor plate or drill two holes thru your motor mount and put two bolts thru the transome with a metal plate on the inside to bolt two. I seen motor come off transom like that one time but it was on a boat rental where you bring your own motor. Prop torque can have a big effect if motor mounted too high or the top of prop comes out of the water. Also if run over a crab pot, seaweed or fishing line will try and take the motor off the boat. <br />On my 14 footer with the 15 HP Johnson besides the two standard motor clamps I have to saftey chains or cables. They attach to the motor on each side and have a turn buckle to tighten the cable and hold the motor down on the transom. Even it I lossened the motor clamps the motor could not come off. If your do this but only go with one cable put it on the PORT side as this is the side that will try and life off the boat while in Foward. On my boat also added a bigger stronger mounting board and a special Rubber mounting plate that the motor clamps tighten down to. With all that motor very secure But hard to get on and off as clamps must be all the way open before can fource it off the boat.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The classes are a great Idea, I think after all that I would have gotten rid of that boat, and done a upgrade, I know money can be the center of this thought , but think of the 21 days of suffering. a 14 footer just seems way small for any currents. Oh yea bolt that engine on !

18rabbit

Captain

Crazy - the reason I mentioned the Squadron as opposed to the Guard Aux (both are good!) is that the Squadron is also a club and if you join the club you will meet other boaters that can give help/advice and guidance on how to approach that rough area so you can do so safely...maybe even go with you or you with them. If it’s not appropriate for your little boat, they will tell you…it’s also something you can ask about in whatever class you take. If you take the Guard Aux class, I suggest joining an active boating club of some sort.<br /><br />And Boatist is johnny-on-the-money with the recommend for the longer courses. They cover more stuff and are well worth the time. Not sure why he had to take to take it 3 times, everyone else passes the first time thru. :p :D <br /><br />Be safe, have fun, and let us know what you decide to do.

riptide116

Seaman

most definatly on the extended class,I have read all to read on boating and seen all videos that are availible for boating but alas I need more info and the class is a right idea,as for the 'club' that sounds great,I dont know hardly anyone at the boathouse exept the guy who I pay the rent to.....<br /><br />I have asked a few other boaters out there and its never the same info twice about this area.<br /><br />I want to be a educated boater,when I was a grunt on the crab boat in alaska in northern bering sea,my duty was the 'live tank' and not driving the boat so I did not get too much education on the handeling of boat but the processing of krab...<br /><br />any hints or suggested technics are greatly appreciated in the handeling of boats in a current or when waves overtake my boat from astern will be great...<br />its a few weeks until the next available class.<br />some of them vids are good,1 vid had nothing exept pulling up to a dock and pulling away from the dock....I got that part fugured out

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Why I have taken both the Coast Guard Aux and Power Squadrons classes 3 times each. Basicly I like the classes, they cheap and fun. I like to take a class about every 5 years and I always learn something from the long classes. My entire crew has taken at least one class. It is a time to think about saftey learn the new changes in the laws. I learned a lot from other in the class and I helped a lot of first time boater understand the basics.<br /><br />I really see no difference between the Coast Guard Aux and the US Power Squadronds. They are both clubs. The Coast Guard Aux you can get relief for Fuel and Maintenance if you go on patrol.<br /><br />Also each class I have taken has been different. Power Squadons LONG class has a good basic navigation class. Price for the class include basic navigation tools,(Dividers,Parallel Rule, compass rose, protractor) You will learn to plot a course out to a spot then change course to another port. You must plot your course within 1 degree and your arrival time with in 2 minutes. Still it is a basic course as you do not have to compensate for wind and current.<br /><br />Coast Guards long class does not do any navigation except to tell you how to add or substract 180 degrees to reverse your course. Still the Coast Guard long course does a better job of explaining how to read charts. Also how to know which buoy you see flashing after dark and what the different flash patterns mean. More time spent learning the RULES of the ROAD.<br /><br />Anyway I take the classes for the same reason that I come here. I enjoy it and I learn something.<br /><br />How many of you out there sit down with your Crew and talk about what to do if someone falls over board or you see someone in the water. Inland lake 100 degrees no wind no big deal. Offshore with 6 foot swells, a 27 knot wind, 3 foot chop, fog with 1/8 mile visibablity, and 54 degree water not so easy but every member of the crew must know exactly what to do.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Take all the classes ya want. They will help, but that place is worse than the mouth of the Columbia. I live south of the narrows, and in summer we get some max tide swings of 21 FEET! ALL THAT WATER (go look at a map-all that water south of Tacoma) GOES THROUGH THAT STRAIGHT UNDER THE TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE 4 TIMES A DAY. Go down there some summer day during tide swings and watch the other boats. It is one dangerous area in a small boat. I would suggest a much bigger boat, or slack tides only. Or trailer down to Nisqually and launch there with the rest of the fisherman and do the flats by the drop off.

crab bait

Captain

take the coarse,, it is great,, but the 'answer to your question' ..they will not know.. they'll just give their opinion..

riptide116

Seaman

Robby6950<br /><br />Yeah have you been in the overlook above the clay banks ? Beautifull view,was a observation tower there in the past about 30',dunnkow why it was removed..great view of that churning water,yeas I have wached how other boaters cut the clay bank and run smack dab into the heavy rips east of point about 100-150 ft,I have wached how others deal with that spot,no 2 zip thu there the same way,<br /><br />yea otherwise do ebb tide,just dont want to get stuck at other end before night,tide is not gonna conform to my schedule ...Darn<br />waters south of there is great..<br />I would say back around horsehead pt. & raft island are some mighty nice waters,reasonable range,<br />waters up in carr inlet,launch up at joeama beach(real name) are great,tide comes in-its smooth,tide goes out-its smooth...<br />cant do no wrong up there..unless you was real stoopid,great camp ground up there with morage<br /><br />anything north of tacoma is limitied with my skills,done lotsa runs to the puallup,thas no problem,xcept wake from tug n barge,other fishermen not with the program when doin the wagon circle thing when trolling.<br /><br />hows the waters around stilacoom & anderson island,I have read charts and that seems the water would have some momentum when its around S.E. of anderson island. hows that area when the tide is a runnin ?<br /><br />hypothetical question:<br />south of narrows,the futher you go from that channel,the smoother it gets when there is tial currents?<br /><br />Calm smooth waters are so more preferable than that soup up near the point...

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I'm way over at Totten/Eld inlets, and at tide change I have enough trouble just getting into my SLIP!

Doogen

Recruit

I have cut that point a few times in my 15ft Pacific Skiff. The best advice i can give is why try to cut the point? Run farter out from shore until the rip is not as pronounced and then cut in. <br /><br />If you want real fun run your boat through Deception pass on a tide rip. Yeehaw<br /><br />When dealing with water like that never stop or slow down. if your safe speed was not lower than planing speed that was part of your problem in a small boat like that. There is a lot less for the water to grab when your on top of it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

DON'T GO OUT THERE AGAIN UNTIL I HAVE TAKEN AN INSURANCE POLICY OUT ON YOU.<br /><br />Mark.<br /><br />PS, I'll need your SSN.

bait ball

Recruit

I fish that area during the Summer months and I don't run the Narrows unless I have a favorable tide and good wind...remember what happened to the first bridge! Pick a slow tide day, run through the last hour of incoming tide, Make a wide tun around that Point, and don't get to close to the bridge stantions.<br /><br />I remember reading an account of the first exploration of the area as Peter Puget and James Whidbey were surveying and looking for the Northwest passage to the Atlantic. They rode the incoming tide but then turned into Hale's passage(N. of Fox) and made no progress at all, finally stopping at Pt. Fos****.<br /><br />Matt

riptide116

Seaman

way cool,I want to hear all about any thing thats in this area,<br />yes I know about deception pass & skagit bay,now thats a current.<br /><br />had a vid of the "mighty columbia River" and the folks who poilot the super cargo vessels,I am not scared of that (when I am waching it on the TV)...<br /><br />sorry for the life insurance,my other half has allready has dibbs on that,besides I am going to see halleys comet in 2061 if all goes well and I play it smart,jeeze my dad is 72 Y/O and he still jogs allmost 10 mile max 5 minimum every day so I am gonna still be around.<br /><br /><br />so doogen,I dont understand..<br /><br />"When dealing with water like that never stop or slow down. if your safe speed was not lower than planing speed that was part of your problem in a small boat like that. There is a lot less for the water to grab when your on top of it. "<br /><br />I have a outboard with tiller stering (armstrong steering),when I am underway & I am running with current or with waves,when the waves roll under from behind,I have to back throttle off some because 'sometimes' that roller wave will make the sterring get real squirly and I will 'slew' and its unnerving at full throttle,I have a real low center of gravity and I load out the junk accordingly for trim so I will not capsize,there is 3 ft of freeboard to play with,I hold tiller true and dont micro-steer when in that snot,when I do get slewed I counter steer to keep boat stable/level until that roller passes and I do it all over again...of course I want to pass thru that stuff instead of loiter in it.<br /><br />Now I have been able to run faster than the waves (same situation)and its a litte safer feeling but I dont want to be at top speed when in unstable waters so I slow down (now re-read prevoius paragraph) <br />with the splash area for motor & seat placement,I can 'lock' my arm into place when at full throttle or if motor wants to steer itself.<br /><br />I know if I am in that snot I want to pass thru it ASAP instead of parking in it.<br />narrows bridge,yeah stay away from the supports,they make the water real fun(and its under construction too),I have observed the gig harbor side (west side of channel) is smoother water to traverse channel.<br /><br />Whats your time running thru the channel?<br />my max speed is about 21 MPH on the garmin so I would guestemate I could run that channel in about18-25 min if I am at full throttle and no chop..

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All I can say is you are lucky to still be with us. My last trip through there was over 30 years ago. New motor shot craps but we had our old dependable motor as a back up.<br /><br />Check around and see if you can find someone that will let you go with them or go with you. That way you can learn.<br /><br />Class are great and I all ways learn new things everytime I take them.<br /><br />Good luck and wear your PFD. Five coast guard a chance to pick you up a live!

dmonwai

Seaman

Those rips in that area can be really nasty.<br /><br />When I fish around there I mostly fish the Slag Pile and Owens Beach or across at Pt Dalco to Quarter Master Harbor. I usually don't fish the Clay Banks because of the rips. I fish out of a 16' Smokercraft with a 50hp main and a 8hp kicker. I have got caught in those rips before while trolling and had to use the main motor to get out because the kicker was not strong enough.<br /><br />You might want to try this post on a local fishing BB. I'm sure you will get a lot more replies from people who are familiar with the area. The one I'm at mostly is gamefishin.com, go to the forums and try posting there.<br /><br /><br />Damon