The Census at 5 years?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
A couple of weeks ago I got a form from the Census. Mainly consisted of how many, and what race was living in the house hold. I filled it out, and it got mailed several weeks later. Since then the U.S. Government (shows on the caller ID) calls and wants to know where the form is. Told them it was in the mail. They have called 3 times now within this week.<br /><br />Has anyone else received anything from the Census? I have never seen the Census be so demanding before. I think they are trying to get a more accurate count on the hispanics in the country. So maybe they are in the process of figureing out what to do with the illegals.<br /><br />Hmmmmm,,,,, just don't know what to think now......SS

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: The Census at 5 years?

Interesting...<br /><br />My wife was filling out a form the other day. Listed "Hispanic - White" and "Hispanic - Other" as two of the race choices. After great discussion, we concluded that they mean Hispanics from places like Spain to be White, and Hispanics who are native Mexicans and other native Hispanics from Central America with "color" to be Other.<br /><br />Interesting on how they are breaking down the Hispanic catagory. I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with determining the impact on American color in a few years. Ever read an article called "The Browning of America"? Predicts that over time the average American will have slightly darker skin from the influx of Hispanic and Oriental people.<br /><br />The browning of America is not a concern I have, but what is happening to our language and culture is. Regardless of your race and origins, I firmly believe if you are a citizen of the USA, you need to speak English and speak it well enough that non-immigrant Americans can understand your speech. <br /><br />And that's the long and short of it. ;)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I thought that census are done every 10 years. The last one that I filled out was either late 1999 or early 2000. Some people gets the 'long' form and some get the 'short' form. More questions asked on the long form.

rwise

Captain

Last one I did a person came to the door and filled it out right there and went on to the next house!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will get harrassed if the first three visits to your house did not get all the information they want. Those visits happened in '98, '99, and 2000.<br /><br />I did those visits and some folks just couldn't be contacted. A very few refused to provide any info. They are still working on filling those gaps, because the law requires them to "count" everybody.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've done the ten year thing several times, but this is the first time I have ever seen it at the 5 year mark.<br /><br />Is it possible that this is for Congress? I had heard awhile back that Congress wants to make English the official language of the USA. Who would figure that it would take an act of Congress to make it an official language.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> ...what is happening to our language and culture is. Regardless of your race and origins, I firmly believe if you are a citizen of the USA, you need to speak English and speak it well enough that non-immigrant Americans can understand your speech. <br /><br />And that's the long and short of it. ;)
Agree, but wondering...what is happening to our language and culture that hasn't been ongoing since the 17th century?