The boy who's skin fell off (long)

SoulWinner

Commander
Did any of you see this show on TV tonight? The guy suffered from a skin disease called EB. See here:<br /><br /> EB Skin Disease <br /><br />I first learned about this disease a few months ago. See, I found that this kid who had hung around with my son for a few years was having trouble at home. The more I learned the more concerned I became. I found that the boys mother killed herself when he was 7 or 8. She had been a raging alcoholic for years, stemming from an unhealthy relationship with her father. The boy's dad had never been close to him, basically rejected him from birth and giving all of his attention to the boy's younger brother and younger sister. The boy BTW is named Scott. The story gets worse. Scott was a senior in high school and nearly failing, he worked every weekend at Hardy's, but his father took his paychecks, after he bought his clothes and paid for his school lunches. He wasn't allowed inside his house when his father wasn't there (the step-mother didn't like him) and his father worked until 11:00 at night, getting in at around 12:00 at night. This meant Scott would fall asleep on the front porch, using his book back as a pillow. When his father got home, he would usually go in and lock the door leaving Scott on the porch.<br />When I learned all of this I flipped. I told my son Tom to pick Scott up and bring him over. Scott had always presented himself as a respectful, polite young man; but obviously mentally slower than all of his peers. We took him in and offered him a place to stay. His father was overjoyed when he went home to collect his few belongings and move in to our home.<br /><br />It wasn't long before I took notice of a couple things about our guest. He is obviously afflicted with fetal alcohol syndrome. We took him to the doctor and this was confirmed with blood tests, and answerers some questions about his mental abilities. But I also noticed that his skin was not right. If he helped me rake, his hands became immobilized with blisters and painful sores. We investigated and learned that he has the skin disease EB. It is no where near as bad as the guy on TV tonight, but it is bad, and effectively permanently disables him for life. He doesn't have the mental ability to make it with his head, and his skin keeps him from making it with his hands.<br /><br />Well here we all are. I love Scott, as does my wife, and we are in the process of adopting this 18 year old young man. He doesn't drive because he can't pass the drivers test. He is always tired and sleeps all the time, a side effect of EB. It is almost like he has narcolepsy, he can fall asleep in any situation, an immediately be in deep sleep. He probably does not need to behind the wheel. His mental capacity is a side effect of infantile alcohol syndrome. It is tough, to see a young guy with his whole life ahead of him, facing these difficulties. However, we love him and recognize that he is a wonderful person. He loves to go fishing with me. We have a really good time together. I can't wait to finish the adoption and give him my name.<br /><br />This disease is terrible. It causes a body odor that makes it imperative that we wash his bedding twice a week, and empty his hamper three time a week. We bought him some socks that greatly decreased the blisters and sores on his feet; they cost ten bucks a pair. No big deal. We took him to a dermatologist and got some medication for him, but there is no treatment nor cure for this disease. So we medicate as best we can; peroxide, antibiotic ointment, gauze, and lots of love.<br /><br />It is a totally screwed up thing to have wrong with your body. I feel terrible for Scott, but he is a happy young man. He has a girl friend that he is in love with, and he is always smiling. We will get him into counseling for the baggage he carries regarding his mother and the neglect he suffered under his father. We will work hard to leave an inheritance that will take care of both Tom and Scott, and keep Scott from ever having to work, because his body is not fit to do what his brain demands of him for survival. We will also contribute to the cause for finding a cure or treatment for this disease.<br /><br />I know this was really long, for those who read it all, thanks for listening. For those who take care of infirmed love ones, we salute you. It is the most rewarding thing in the world, no matter how hard.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The boy who's skin fell off (long)

God Bless both you and your wife Soul Winner. Its people like you who are willing to open their lives to someone like Scott that makes him regaurdless of his ailments or past with his blood family a very lucky and blessed person. It may seem hard sometimes but Im sure only selfless (not selfish) people get to experience a special joy that only those who are willing to give of themselves can feel. I pray you are rewarded with that joy often.

SoulWinner

Commander

M&R, that joy is every morning when Scott comes in and says "good morning, how did you sleep"....he says that every morning(after I peel him out of bed). He is a great kid, and although it can be hard to show both kids the same love (Tom has been an only child for 17 years), Scott is a blessing. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

You just got another gold star in the big book somewhere SW. :)

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

SoulWinner,<br />It takes someone special to take in an unwanted child.<br /><br />It takes someone even more special to adopt an unwanted child with multiple emotional scars and severe physical and mental difficulties.<br /><br />God will bless you for your kindness towards Scott. You have given Scott hope and happiness.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Jehoviah Shalom makes no mistakes. You and yours are truely blessed. God be with you all forever.

rogerwa

Commander

I just can't understand how someone could be that cruel. I wouldn't lock my dog on the porch.<br /><br />Good things happen to good people. Good luck and wish him luck as well..

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SW, you're a much bigger person than I. Thanks for the story, hopefully it will plant a seed in many of us and perhaps make a positive difference in our actions somewhere down the line, even if we never make it to the level of your example.

SoulWinner

Commander

Thanks you guys for the kind words, but I don't think of it as something....well, I don't know. I think of it like when I see a woman with a flat tire and stop to help. Just one of those things you do when someone needs help, and Thanks be to God that this time I am in a posstion to offer help. Not a really big deal you know? Besides, we always wished that we'd had another child.<br /><br />One memeory that I will love till I die was his graduation night & birthday party. Me, Dee, Tom, my parents, Scotts girl friend, and a couple of close family friends were all there. We took over a section of a nice local restaurant. It was the first time in Scotts life that he was surrounded by a loving family, not to mention where he was the Guest Of Honour. I never saw anyone smile that much. It was one of times when giving was greatest reward. I'll post a picture of him later.

Moody Blue

Captain

In the words of the Shriners "no man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child in need". Bravo to you SW for bringing this boy into your family.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow...this brought tears to my eyes! SW, you and your wife are truly gifted! May God bless you and your ENTIRE family (Scott included). I will add you all to my prayer chain.<br /><br />In Him.<br /><br />Steven

SoulWinner

Commander

Here is a picture of Scott and his sweet girlfreind Erin:<br /><br />
IMG_0062.jpg
<br /><br />His skin is about a thousand times better since he moved in with us. He used to have blisters on his face and hands. Yes, school was hell for him.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> In the words of the Shriners "no man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child in need". Bravo to you SW for bringing this boy into your family.
I could'nt have said it any better :) <br /><br />Way to go SW, your deed is truly that of a decent human being :cool:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Your alright in my book SW, even if ya hate the american toyotas. Thats a heck of a thing your doing for the kid. You probably saved his life and don't even realize it. Amen brother.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Soul winner It is ppl like your self that lend inspiration to all of us. God Bless you bud

SoulWinner

Commander

You see that smile on Scotts face? That is all the reward I could ever ask for. Before he can to stay here he never smiled. Always walked with his head down. I love him, and just seeing him open up and begin to see what life is really about.......man, you guys, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it....

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SW<br />Will you do me a favour and convey my wishes for the hottest place in hell to the soon to be former so-called father and stepmother.<br />May you and your family be blessed until it hurts.