The best sounding ebay scam yet,,,,,,,,,

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Here's what I received today, it sounds good enough to make you think it's for real, but ebay says is isn't,,,<br /><br />You have been selected by eBay for our special program regarding the war in IRAQ. Through this, eBay Inc. and associates with the help of the US Government, tries to bring hope in the hearts of the IRAQ people by asking members to make a $1 donation that will go into the IRAQ reconstruction funds.<br /><br />eBay Inc. with the support of the major credit card companies (VISA, MASTERCARD and AMERICAN EXPRESS) offer you this one time opportunity to donate only $1 for the victims of the IRAQ war and not pay any more eBay fees for your auctions until the end of 2004.<br />Just click the following link to donate only $1 for an entire year of fee-free eBay! <br />"phony ebay link has been removed,,,,,,,,,"<br /><br />You will only have to complete the form and you will automatically be registered into our database of members that helped and donated for the rebuilding of IRAQ for an ENTIRE YEAR of FREE eBay services! <br />REMEMBER! $1 will not make your life better, but it will make theirs!<br />Thank you for your time and we wish you all the best!<br /><br />The eBay team.<br /><br />This is an automatic message. Please do not reply.<br />Copyright (c) 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Reading this e-mail constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy <br /><br />ebay's reply was,,,,,,,,<br /><br />Hello,<br /> <br />Thank you for contacting eBay's Trust and Safety Department about email solicitations that are falsely made to appear to have come from eBay. <br />... The email you reported did not originate from, nor is it endorsed by, eBay. We are very concerned about this problem and are working <br />diligently to address the situation. We are currently investigating the source of this email to take further action. You may rest assured that <br />your account standing has not changed and that your listings have not been affected. <br />We advise you to be very cautious of email messages that ask you to submit information such as your credit card number or your email <br />password. eBay will never ask you for sensitive personal information such as passwords, bank account or credit card numbers, Personal <br />Identification Numbers (PINs), or Social Security numbers in an email itself. If you ever need to provide information to eBay please open a <br />new Web browser, type www.ebay.com, and click on the "site map" link located at the top of the page to access the eBay page you need.

ndemge

Commander
Re: The best sounding ebay scam yet,,,,,,,,,

I got an email last week from a Paypal lookalike, wanting me to log in and "update my information"<br />... when you mouse over the link, it goes to something like www.paypal.something.com,,, a server named "paypal" on their domain.. a lot of people wouldn't notice it. <br /><br />The other links in their email did link to real paypal sites, to make the email look more real.. I can see where some people would look at that, and follow the link and login, giving these people your login information,,, and access to your bank accounts and credit cards.<br /><br />Even when I close an auction on ebay, and someone sends me payment, I don't follow the link in the paypal email, I go directly to paypal. Never know who might be watching an auction, and when it ends, send a fake payment email to get someone to login to their FAKE paypal/ebay to get identity information.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,<br />I too have had the "Ebay" email on several occasions already.<br />I am in New Zealand and have never had any dealings with Ebay. Would love to but not very practical for us as you can imagine.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

ndemge

Commander

Do they have a "new zealand" version?<br /><br />...They have ebay.uk etc...

Dunaruna

Admiral

Half way down the ebay home page there is a link to all ebay sites, about 20 countries including NZ.<br /><br />I use a dedicated credit card for internet transaction with minimal limit ($20.00). I made the bank (not easy) put the limit on the contract.<br /><br />When I purchase, I transfer the exact amount into the card, no more. If I ever get 'scammed', the most they will get is $20.00, any more is the banks problem.<br /><br />Its the only card details that my computer has, I dont use it for anything else. Its not a foolproof system but its reduces the stress levels when purchasing online.<br /><br />Aldo

Homerr

Commander

Sure wish we could find thre S.O.B's that set up those scams and string them up from the highest tree.<br /><br />I've received a few of those.<br /><br />I NEVER go to a secured site from within my e-mail that has to do with credit cards etc...<br /><br />Always go to their main web site and make sure it's a secured connection before logging in, or whatever you need to do.<br /><br />Sadly, many people don't do this.<br /><br />H.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,<br /><br />The 'paypal' mail arrived here again last night. Needless to say I 'poofed' it.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter