The best battery

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice
Whats the best battery to get for my O/B 1995 Johnson 112hp. I want something that will be hold a lot of charge for starting, but also have stamina so that I can turn on my radio without having boat on.

Thanks!!

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: The best battery

Use 2 batterys, one for starting, A starting battery. One for everything else, a deep cycle for this.
Keep them separated, charge the deep cycle when your home. Unless your pulling a ton of power it should last as long as you need.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Use 2 battery's, one for starting, A starting battery. One for everything else, a deep cycle for this.
Keep them separated, charge the deep cycle when your home. Unless your pulling a ton of power it should last as long as you need.

I would prefer to use one battery only because I would have to separate the wires so that one battery is just for the radio and other accessories and I would like to avoid that.

I would like opinions on brand and on how many Cranks (cold) and not cold I should be looking for. I saw some batterys that said. "Starting, trolling, deep cycle.." The battery I have now just says "Starting"

Bifflefan

Commander

Then buy the best battery you can. I use Optima in the boat and Sears Platinum in my truck.

Take a jumper box with you, so when you run the battery down listening to the radio you can jump start yourself on the water.

Starting is what you want. Its for starting the engine, lots of power for a short burst.
Deep cycle is for trolling, consistent power over a period of time.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Then buy the best battery you can. I use Optima in the boat and Sears Platinum in my truck.

Take a jumper box with you, so when you run the battery down listening to the radio you can jump start yourself on the water.

Starting is what you want. Its for starting the engine, lots of power for a short burst.
Deep cycle is for trolling, consistent power over a period of time.

800 crack good? with 135 reserve...
So your saying I shoud NOT get the battery that says "Starting, and deepcycle"

sasto

Captain

If she were mine I would use 24 series 1000 CCA starting battery.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

800 crack good? with 135 reserve...
So your saying I shoud NOT get the battery that says "Starting, and deepcycle"

That may be a good choice for you.

http://www.bassedge.com/pages/show/Selecting_A_Marine_Battery

Dual Purpose Deep Cycle/Starting Service
Dual purpose batteries are ideal for applications that require starting and deep cycle service. They deliver powerful cranking amperage for easy starting, and low amp draw service for reliable auxiliary power. Dual purpose batteries are a perfect compromise between the unique demands of starting service and deep cycling, low amp draw service.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should really consider splitting the wires and using two separate batteries.

The pro's outweigh the couple hours of work it would take to separate thew wires by a long shot.

A battery that says it will do everything, means it is going to do none of those things very well at all.

Whats the best battery to get for my O/B 1995 Johnson 112hp. I want something that will be hold a lot of charge for starting, but also have stamina so that I can turn on my radio without having boat on.

Thanks!!

How big of a stereo do you have? Unless you've got some serious power with an aux. amplifier I doubt that it pulls a lot of current. For instance, I have a 4 speaker stereo/CD player - I measured current draw with it cranked as loud as I care to listen to it and was only pulling about 4 Amps. My starting battery is rated at 75 Amp-hours (cold cranking amps has nothing to do with this) so with a fully charged battery it would take over 8 hours of listening to CDs at a high volume to use one half of my batteries capacity.

So, IMHO, unless you park and listen to tunes for a looooong time or unless you have a high power stereo, that cranking/deep cycle battery would be fine. If you go with a single battery you may think about adding a voltmeter to keep track of your batteries' charge (I found some cool LCD ones on ebay for just a few dollars each).

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the link and your suggestion.

A battery that says it will do everything, means it is going to do none of those things very well at all.
This is a concern of mine, as this is one reason im asking the general public. Does anyone here have had issues with the dual purpose batteries..

If I do go and put 2 batteries, the deep cycle would only be hooked up to the stereo and other accessories and not to the charging system correct?

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

How big of a stereo do you have? Unless you've got some serious power with an aux. amplifier I doubt that it pulls a lot of current. For instance, I have a 4 speaker stereo/CD player - I measured current draw with it cranked as loud as I care to listen to it and was only pulling about 4 Amps. My starting battery is rated at 75 Amp-hours (cold cranking amps has nothing to do with this) so with a fully charged battery it would take over 8 hours of listening to CDs at a high volume to use one half of my batteries capacity.

So, IMHO, unless you park and listen to tunes for a looooong time or unless you have a high power stereo, that cranking/deep cycle battery would be fine. If you go with a single battery you may think about adding a voltmeter to keep track of your batteries' charge (I found some cool LCD ones on ebay for just a few dollars each).

I only have an after market stereo with 4 speakers as well. What kind of battery do you have? Starting, Deepcycle, or Dual purpose? Thanks

Kaplooi

Seaman

Your question seems more about which battery technology is best for your application as opposed to which specific brand/model battery. You'd probably be best served by an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery if having a single battery for both cranking amps and deep discharge is desired. You will pay more up front but it should last longer than a cheapo flooded electrolyte battery. Also it should be less to maintain since you don't have to keep topping up the cells or clean the posts as often. Also they should not self-discharge nearly as fast.