The 77 Galaxy Lives

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice
Got a new manifold for the 77 Galaxy I obtained. Installed it along with new gaskets and fired the engine up. After it ran for a couple minutes it sounded good. Temp about 140 with around 40 pounds of oil pressure. Are these within range? I have one last mechanical question. The stern drive does not raise just using the up button. Going down it works fine and when I pust the middle and top button it will raise. I bypassed the trim sender and now the middle button will raise it and the bottm button will lower the drive. Am I looking at a new sender or can those be repaired. Is it the switch maybe.
Thanks
Jack

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: The 77 Galaxy Lives

You did not say what make your engine is. The temp sounds normal. I don?t know what type of engine you have but my 4.3 Merc is also about 40 psi. I doubt that?s the engine you are running it being a 77'. 305s and 350s also make about 40 psi.

Edit: it does sound like your trim sender is causing the going up issue. I don?t think they can be repaired unless its only corrosion causing it to malfunction.

Last edited:

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool, welcome to the galaxy family... too bad mine doesnt work. :) I believe that the trim is supposed to work like that... mine is like that anyway. Up and in and down and out i dont really understand it. I prefer just up and down but thats just the way it goes.

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 120hp chevy block. I am getting a spray of water on each side of the gimble so the impeller has to be working at least a little. I'm patching up the holes in the transom where a fish finder and trolling moter had been installed. I figure I can use it as long as I know there is no limit on the trim and I'm careful. But do want to fix it. I might not be the driver all the time.
Jack

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

40psi is good oil pressure, especially if that's at idle.

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Checked the oil and it looks fine. But am a little concerned because I found a couple of used quarts under the seat and the level appears to be overfull. I didn't notice any smoke when it was running. Hopefully by Satuday I'll have the holes patched and registration numbers on. After that, put it in the lake and see if it floats. If all goes well the rest is cosmetic.
Jack